1997 Chevrolet C3500HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Been away from the forum a long while. I'm still alive, the green '94 is going strong at 330'000 kms, and I just picked up this baby today.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 6.5/NV4500 with a nice working electric over hydraulic 11x7' dump. 220'000 plus whatever was added after the speedo stopped working.

She's got some issues that need immediate attention, some that need fixed down the road, and a lot of cosmetic work. It'll be the new firewood hauler.

Sent from somewhere between here and there

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That SOB won't haul just firewood, it'll haul the whole forest if you just wrap a chain around it. Yeah 3500HD!

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Looks good just sold my C3500HD on wedsday.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Awesome! One day I plan to find one... hopefully an 01 or 02 with the 8.1 vortec and a 6 speed (if not Duramax swap it). I'd make mine into a crew cab and mount up a dually bed. Would be a straight hauling truck! I like OBS trucks way too much :)

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I swear by everything holy the next truck i buy will be a 35000hd

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Thought I posted a reply but I think it screwed up.

Truck is a beast. The glove box was used for a toolbox for so many years the rpo codes are mostly worn off so I'm not sure of the gear ratio in the rear end, but I'd guess 4.50-something or lower. I haven't really put the truck through it's paces yet, but in first gear, I don't think there's much you couldn't get rolling.

The flip side of that coin is doing 90km/h on the 4 lane was plenty fast enough. I was actually impressed at how well the diesel pulled the (albeit, empty) truck along at that speed in high gear. I wasn't taking flight going up hills, but I didn't lose that much speed, either. She just chugged along at 2000 rpm and I didn't shove it. Never geared down once on the highway.

The NV4500 takes a little getting used to compared to a worn out NV3500. Actually feels like you're shifting instead of shoveling rocks with one hand, for lack of a better description.

Currently have the steering shaft out of it and am looking into an xj shaft to replace it. Not sure if it'll work. The HD shafts are different than a pickup, they have quite a bit of a crossmember to get over instead of a more or less straight shot to the steering box, and a dorman replacement is 300 bucks and 3 weeks away.

Also already did a PMD (truck came with 3 and a very frightening cobbled together "relocation harness" ).

Full fluid change, brake, fuel line and exhaust repair is next on the list.

I think I can make a decent truck out of it.

Sent from somewhere between here and there