1996 LS400 “build”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't skip it. It's a 26 year old belt on an interference engine. I actually found the cheapest place by me was the Lexus dealership, but these days I don't know.
Did you replace your own? I watched some videos and it doesn’t seem to terribly bad, but you have to have a special tool to hold the camshafts in place.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you replace your own? I watched some videos and it doesn’t seem to terribly bad, but you have to have a special tool to hold the camshafts in place.

I didn't. I was too busy at the time and the Lexus dealership gave me a free loaner. It's a completely different world from owning a Chevy, even a Corvette, LOL.

I've read posts where they just marked the belt and the pulleys and then transferred the marks to the new belts and put the new belt in the exact some spot lined up with the marks.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So I ordered this on Thursday of this week and it is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday this coming week. It was $247 after tax and shipping.

WhiteUCF

Reaction score
Good buy on that car! I parked my LS400 when I bought my OBS. Haven't driven it but once in 2 years..

The timing belt is a fairly simple job on uz's. Just set it to tdc and get started. Make sure you spend the money on a timing kit from Toyota/Lexus. It'll be much cheaper than the ebay "Aisin" kit after you get it all back together and realize it won't run right because the new "oem" belt is missing a tooth. Also, make sure everything stays at TDC when you install the new tensioner. Some people have bad luck and it pulls the cam gears a tooth off. I've never had that problem but I see it all too often.

I wish your air bag would fit in a '98 steering wheel or I'd send you my spare..

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On my Dodge Intrepid, when I did the timing belt, tensioner and water pump job on it, I used some small spring clips to hold the belt in place. Any small clips will work, as long as they fit over the edge of the pulley or sprocket. I also use these on the serpentine belt on my Burb; on the crankshaft pulley to hold it in place while I get the belt around the other pulleys in the correct order. That way I can do the job by myself, instead of needing a helper for holding the belt on.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good day to all! I received my catalytic converter on Tuesday morning and it was in good shape. Just this morning I went to put it on before I went to class at 11:00. I was fully expecting bolts to shear off, nuts to round off, etc. I was right. 2 out of 5 nuts rounded off. I was tryna be careful with it, but………..
So now I guess I gotta cut the cat off, get some new nuts, either cut the studs and get new studs or figure out some impossible way to get the nuts off. I did soak it with WD-40 for two days.