1996 LS400 “build”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...and earplugs or earmuffs!
...and gloves. Ask me how I learned that lesson.
I’ve also got those I’ve been using all day as well.
I was getting some tools out of our shed and tripped and smashed my middle finger yesterday. So I put a splint on it and kept working, thought I had broke it. My mom was laughing at me cause when I was using the jack my finger was pointing straight up going up and down.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So got it all hooked up last night………..the cat didn’t fit right and I’m pissed. It didn’t mount right where the y-pipe meet the bottom of the cat and there’s a big leak. So now I’m thinking I’ll just return it, get some magnaflows and have an exhaust shop weld it up for me.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So as just a sort of update. I’m getting the timing belt, water pump, a few pullies, dist caps and rotors, alternator, and serpentine belt replaced. I also got a rebuild kit for the power steering pump that is leaking.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To pick back up on this. I had basically the whole front of the engine rebuilt and it was running perfectly. Then yesterday after having to accelerate hard it started running really rough and shaking the car. I’ve checked the spark plug wires to make sure they’re plugged in good and they were. My only thing I can think of is I got bad gas. I had filled up 10min it’s before and had only driven about a mile.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
To pick back up on this. I had basically the whole front of the engine rebuilt and it was running perfectly. Then yesterday after having to accelerate hard it started running really rough and shaking the car. I’ve checked the spark plug wires to make sure they’re plugged in good and they were. My only thing I can think of is I got bad gas. I had filled up 10min it’s before and had only driven about a mile.
Bad gas will do a lot. That's the way the crew cab was behaving. It improved after I changed the fuel filter, ran some Berryman's B12 Chemtool through it(in the first tank of fresh gas), and some Marvel Mystery Oil in the second tank (changed the filter between tanks). Hasn't entirely stopped the issue with rough idle, but it has been much better than before....

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who did the timing belt? I hope it didn't jump time because they forgot to pull the pin on the tensioner.