Project: Just Keep it Nice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoffmansHaven

Reaction score
Before I continue, I'd like to apologize for the shoddy picture quality on most of these... I tend to take more video than pictures so the majority of my pictures here are actually video stills.

The day I got it, I decided I was not going to deal with the manual doors for long. Reno Auto Salvage and Sparks Pick-n-Pull got to know me really well over the course of that week :haha: I got two complete doors with power internals, new power mirrors, the interior panels and switch panels, along with a driver side seat recline handle (mine was broken), cruise control box on the firewall (stripped gear or bad solenoid in mine, not sure), a replacement stereo head unit for the Blazer, a new headlight switch, and the complete wiring harness to go between the two doors, which also came with a stock keyless entry module and door lock relay pack.

Once I got the pickup back to my Blazer, the swap-out began... The stereo head unit from my Blazer, a stock CD/AM/FM with external Tape and an iPod controller all lit in blue LED, got pulled out, the bottom mounting system retrofitted, and stuck in the pickup;

You must be registered for see images attach

the Alpine Type R 6.5" speakers in the Blazer front doors were pulled and swapped with the stock speakers from the pickup;

the cluster's blue LED backlighting went from Blazer to pickup, along with most of the other 194 and 74-base LEDs.

For a reason I would only later discover, the brake light LEDs in my Blazer damn near exploded when I tried to put them in the pickup housings... So they were left behind in the Blazer. The front blinkers, being 3157-base, won't work in this truck because the front blinkers of GMT400s are 1157 :p BUT - I had a spare set of those at the house in Longview I could throw in. The 194 front marker LEDs however, were pulled. As a last note, I pulled the subwoofers and amp out of the Blazer, mostly because my brother didn't want them... I'm probably going to sell them. So if anyone wants a pair of Alpine Type R 12" subs in a custom box... :) .. As for the Blazer, it was determined to be left behind, and my brother bought it from me to keep it.

Then, the doors started getting torn into. I made a mess.

The wiring was easily the most difficult part of it all.. Figuring out what was needed, what the truck already has, and what I could just get rid of entirely... A friend of mine with full access to wiring diagrams really helped out at this point. I was able to pretty much just drop the new door to door harness in with a bit of pre-existing connector re-pinning, and only three wire splices, two being at the keyless entry module and the third for the dome lights in the power doors, which manual doors don't have.

The day the power doors were verified fully operational, I started my 1800 mile drive home to Texas, leaving the two donor doors behind at Reno Salvage. I thought about taking them with me, or at least the windows, but at the moment I have no place to keep them back home. The truck performed most fantastically (in my opinion) for being completely stock, hanging out at 17-18 MPG on the way.

Since getting back to Texas, I've replaced EVERYTHING possible with LEDs, in a more useful bright white for the domes, most notably... As opposed to my going completely overboard in the BLUE department on my Blazer :p

The taillights, rather than having the circuit boards on the back, are now using bulb sockets from a Blazer, slightly modified, held in place by fabricated aluminum since they don't secure to the housing like they do on the Blazer...

Also notable is the way they illuminate since I modified the wiring slightly; normally, the top bulbs would be park lamps only, the bottom acting as turn signals and brakes. Now, the top bulbs are signals and brakes, while the bottom bulbs are brakes only. All, in LED of course :D

Switching out the front bulbs for the 1157 LEDs...

I ripped out the clutch fan in favor of dual electric fans out of a 2001 Ford Windstar, wired with three relays in the format of an LS1 configuration - two fan operation in series for speed 1, two fan op in parallel for speed 2.

And most recently, replaced the PCM with an LS1 12200411 (thanks go to Lextech!). Wired the fans to it, now I'm just waiting for a few switches to come in, and I'll install them in the electric 4x4 delete panel in the dash for overrides.... OR, I saw another post on here somewhere that showed the switches on a metal strip under the dash, that was pretty nifty. So far, tho, I really can't complain at all with the performance of the truck.

I don't think I'm quite done with the PCM yet. Its wiring needs help in a bad way I need to redirect several of the pins so they're not all twisted around each other -- And right now I'm waiting on a response from the guy who provided the pin-outs for the swap, as I currently do not have the shift light hooked up to the PCM on account of most of these trucks being automatics , and shift lights not being accounted for. ------Edit, it's not used on the 0411, so I'm just leaving it disconnected. Never paid it any mind anyway.

Future plans, as I can think of them right now...

--AD244 alternator, big 3 in 0 Gauge, MAYBE second battery?

--Quad-beam headlight mod

--Plan to replace the camper shell clamps with bolts, and I need to re-seal the bedrails anyway...

-- Dome lights for the camper shell

-- If anyone can give me some options on a small yet decent subwoofer/box I can put in this truck, that doesn't take up a lot of space (preferably just fits under the back seat, I may consider removing the jack box), but will still hit moderately? Would appreciate. Not looking to blow out windows by any means, but still want to feel it.

-- I have no suspension mod plans and it'll probably stay that way, unless I decide to go with K2500 leaf springs that is. I'm rather happy with the exterior look of this truck.

-- May go ahead and replace the headlights and blinker housings at some point, as of course, they're oxidized.

-- I have an electric dimming and temp/compass mirror on the windshield now, just need to run the wires to power it up.

-- Also, opinion request - Should I go ahead and remove the top of the fan shroud back to the square section or leave it as is? It's not in the way, it's more of a cosmetics thing I guess.

-- Roof center console? Maybe?

-- Rear disc brakes????
Holy crap! Mod city! You are a lot more in to it than me. Do you have video of the mods? I am thinking I want to do some LED interior lights in bright white. Thank you.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Holy crap! Mod city! You are a lot more in to it than me. Do you have video of the mods? I am thinking I want to do some LED interior lights in bright white. Thank you.
I think I have some limited video of the work I did to begin with but I've fallen off the making videos kick in the last 6 years so nothing really recent.

So I'm gonna have to replace the battery pretty soon... Haven't driven it for three weeks, had the battery disconnected and kept on a maintainer. Hooked it back up today, tried to start the truck and it wouldn't even try... Showing 12.4 volts at the terminals with the little maintainer on it key off, instantly drops to 10.5 key on and steadily falls from there, 4.7 or so trying to start. 42 month free replacement ACDelco battery from ABC Auto - and of course it's 2 months past that... Grrrrrr.

While going through all the paperwork I've saved in this truck over the years, I happened across this guy hiding in the little pocket of my factory owner's manual slip-cover!

I've had this truck 9 years and still finding new stuff in it :rofl:

HoffmansHaven

Reaction score
I think I have some limited video of the work I did to begin with but I've fallen off the making videos kick in the last 6 years so nothing really recent.

So I'm gonna have to replace the battery pretty soon... Haven't driven it for three weeks, had the battery disconnected and kept on a maintainer. Hooked it back up today, tried to start the truck and it wouldn't even try... Showing 12.4 volts at the terminals with the little maintainer on it key off, instantly drops to 10.5 key on and steadily falls from there, 4.7 or so trying to start. 42 month free replacement ACDelco battery from ABC Auto - and of course it's 2 months past that... Grrrrrr.

While going through all the paperwork I've saved in this truck over the years, I happened across this guy hiding in the little pocket of my factory owner's manual slip-cover!

I've had this truck 9 years and still finding new stuff in it :rofl:
Damn, I wish I had that sticker for mine. Mine is 1997 Z71. I will have to post pictures of it one day. It's in really good condition. I just wish I had more money to fix it up. I am just now learning about the steering stuff and I want to get rid of the EVO so I am going to study on that. Thanks for sharing.