1996 GMC Z71 - 220k - Rough Idle/Hard Start - New to Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadowmyrock

Reaction score
Well, I suppose this is as good a place to place an introduction as any.
To start off with, it feels good to be back on a forum, I haven't been on one since I had an LS1 powered F-Body.

Alright, so I just purchased this truck as a fixer to daily driver project. They just don't make them like they used to.
It has the 5.7/350 motor, not sure of the transmission (one problem at a time)

Current big issue is the hard starting, rough idling.
I've done some digging and ordered the MPFI "conversion" just from everything I've seen this HAS to be the root cause of it all.
I averaged 15mpg for 300 miles driving from Brownsville Tx, to Houston Tx, It idles rough, doesn't start right away (one start, rough idle, dies) then fires right up and idles rough, has NO power under acceleration, etc etc etc. All of these seem to align with a failing/failed CSFI.
I have changed the fuel filter and I'm getting ~55psi at the Schrader valve underhood with an almost immediate drop in pressure once the truck shuts off.

So, I plan on replacing that this weekend.

While I'm in there what might be some other things I should look at/into?

I plan on pulling/cleaning all or most sensors, checking the distributor cap/rotor, plugs seemed fine like a motor that's fuel starved (running lean), air filter needs changed.

~Ross

You must be registered for see images attach
I know this sounds crazy but I don't know how you posted that so I don't even know how to put a post out there for people to even see what I'm trying to ask but I could use some help but hey I appreciate it if you have the time I appreciate your time
U.S. Marine Veteran
Matt

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

96CK

Reaction score
Does the injector kit come with the upper manifold gasket? If not, you'll need the full set not just the lower.
I ordered a separate kit, but not one that included the lower. It's basically a kit for removing/replacing the upper - it's the Fel-Pro MS 90269 kit. So basically all I'd need are the Intake to head gaskets it looks like.
Consider valve cover gaskets. The newer center-bolt covers seal way better than the perimeter-bolt covers ever did...but as long as you're in there...
Not a bad idea, it'll also give me a chance to look at the valvetrain as well
If you're lucky, your "rear main leak" is either the rear seal on the intake manifold, or the oil pressure sending unit behind the manifold.
Man, that's my hope! That would save me from having to yank a transmission on my back.....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, is it safe to say the days of MSD, Accel and the like are gone?
They're not "gone". MSD, for example, is pushing Communist Crap and expecting folks to remember MSD's reputation from a generation ago.
Their TBI distributor cap:
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought some extra Accel coil-in-cap distributor cap/rotor kits from Summit when they were "on sale"; made in USA and "so far, so good" but they do seem to be thin plastic.