1995 Suburban Cargo Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RexInTheCity

Reaction score
I have a couple questions about the cargo area that I haven't been able to find answers to.

1) Can the side compartments be removed? IE, the tray/arm rest for the third row. Is there a technical name for them?
2) I know the driver side compartment holds the tire jack. As far as I can tell, the passenger side compartment doesn't have a removable top. Does anyone know what all is inside it?
3) Is the spare tire mount difficult to remove? Is it bolted, blued, or welded on?
4) Does anyone have a picture of a suburban with the cargo area completely stripped?

I'm going to be taking the carpet out of the cargo area and spraying bed liner down. It would be nice to get some extra room by taking those things out if possible.

Thanks

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can be removed. The pass side top has two screws in it, and snaps off and on with them removed. The side will also come off in similar fashion. They contain mostly the wheel tubs, with the jack and tire tools on the driver side and the rear AC/heat components along with some ducting for the floor vents (if equipped) on the pass side. I am not sure how to remove the spare tire stud, and have no pics of the rear in bare condition.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
The spare tire stud on the floor just bolts in. I have taken it out in my 95 burb to remove the carpet.

EmersonHart13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modern cars are more and more just coming with a can of fix a flat. If you have AAA or live in a city you would be fine without a spare.

Chances are he is going to remount them somewhere else on the truck.

RexInTheCity

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. Emerson is correct, I would be relocating the tire if I take it out of the cargo area. A lift and bigger tires are way down on my todo list for the suburban. Right after that is a swing out tire carrier.

thefirm13

Reaction score
Hey guys instead of starting a new thread I'd figure I'd start here.

So I tore into the passenger rear compartment to remove what I thought was the rear AC stuff since I no longer have AC and want to replace that area with a gun lock box and molle system . . . ANYWAY I started to rip apart the tubing in that box tore through the rear most two (just cut them) and then separated the seal on the third of fourth (from the rear) and it started to pour coolant all over me. (I can only assume it's coolant/antifreeze cause it's bright green)

HELP!!

thefirm13

Reaction score
You have rear heat. It is heated by coolant from the engine.

Dang. I thought i just had to disconnec the thing and be done. What do you recommend I do? Probably make a loop in the two lines somehow right?