1995 replacement condenser smaller than original?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995truck

Reaction score
I have 1995 Suburban with rear AC

I am replacing my condenser and have taken off the grille and compared the original condenser in the truck with the replacement I got from Summit. The part number is AC Delco 15-6814 and GM number on the box is 52458719. This issue is the new one is only about 2/3 as thick as the original. I measured the original as about 39mm and the replacement at only 25mm. I don’t think it is correct one unless the replacement ones are designed to be thinner than the original. Still, I don’t see how the original rubber support brackets will work. They are too wide to secure the new core. Anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• 1995 condenser compare.jpg
    1995 condenser compare.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 18

Killerc998

Reaction score
Is the new condenser a Parrell flow? From everything I have seen The Parrell flow are thinner, but work better.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could go to GMPARTS Giant .com enter your vin and check the part number, see if it's correct.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's rare that an aftermarket condenser is a close fit in the mounting rubbers. Even the expensive Classic Air condenser I have in my '94 only has feet about 1/3 the size of the mounting rubbers, but it's tight when assembled and won't move or vibrate out of place.
As far as the thickness, 90% of the efficiency of any airflow radiator is the frontal area, the thickness making far less difference. Serpentine condensers are much less efficient than parallel flow, so the additional material isn't necessary.
However

Shi**y condensers make your A/C weak in hot weather idling. I paid about $225 for the Classic Air unit in mine, and it's 40* in hot traffic idling. I even use the piston R4 compressor, as the scroll compressor won't fit the diesel engine bracket.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My parallel flow in the van is 1/2 the thickness of the OE condenser but works as well if not better.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As near as I can tell, all GMT400 replacement condensers are the pickup size. If you want to stick with the new one, go to a junkyard and get the condenser retainers from a pickup.

If you are bent on sticking with the original, I might be able to spare one, I rounded up a couple in hopes of stuffing it in my 1995 K3500 crew cab for a little extra capacity, but then I found out it wont fit in the core support without making clearance with a hammer. it isnt much at all, but enough it wont slide in, and I am **** about not doing any cobbling when modifying things.

Future plan is to get a burb core support, as a little extra opening is always a good thing for 6.5L cooling systems when pulling heavy goosenecks. and it might make Air to air intercoolers easier to mount as well.

What is wrong with yours? If it has filings from a bad compressor, just wash it out.

I know the a/c guys will have a melt down, but my buddy and I use a pressure washer. lol get it till its flowing perfectly clean water, then blow it out with compressed air, then flush it with copious amounts of brake cleaner, then a/c flush, then let it cook in the sun, then install, vac down, and run it.

1995truck

Reaction score
Is the new condenser a Parrell flow? From everything I have seen The Parrell flow are thinner, but work better.
Yes it is and from my research you are correct it is better. I’m just worried that it won’t fit correctly because the brackets and rubber mounts are made for a wider condenser. Also, this design has a much smaller fins/slots which may limit airflow or could get clogged easier. the main radiator is behind the condenser. I would think that it would restrict some of the airflow to the main radiator, and possibly caused the truck to overheat under some conditions.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it is and from my research you are correct it is better. I’m just worried that it won’t fit correctly because the brackets and rubber mounts are made for a wider condenser. Also, this design has a much smaller fins/slots which may limit airflow or could get clogged easier. the main radiator is behind the condenser. I would think that it would restrict some of the airflow to the main radiator, and possibly caused the truck to overheat under some conditions.

My $0.02 on that is the newer condenser flows noticeably better and has less restriction to airflow because it is thinner.