1993 chevy 4.3 to 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethtaylor

Reaction score
Hey guys i got a 1993 chevy cheyenne that i am swapping a 5.7 in for the previous 4.3. I was wondering how hard it is to change the interior (dash, steering column, seats). Do i have to change my wiring harness or can i leave the 4.3 one in there? Like will everything plug right in and work like it should? THANKS!!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's the little motor inside the cluster for the tach.
They usually don't die, so one from a wrecker cluster will work.

Are you considering changing the dash to the '95 up?
People have done that, but IIRC, it wasn't a simple swap.
1995 is the odd-ball of the these trucks, so it may be best to look at '96-'98 as a donor. Not sure if the '95 has it's own issues when it comes to how the electronics in the dash. Those '95's are not true OBDI nor OBDII. Sometimes referred to as OBDI.5.
Ditto for the steering column. It may or may not be a prob., but why find out if it's not going to work via trial-&-error?
As far as the seats, later model ('95+) extra-cab passenger seats require some mods to either the floor or the tracks/risers to be able to fit a Standard Cab. Other than that, virtually any seat from a GMT400 will work.
There are members here that have utilized seats from other vehicles, such as AstroVan & Pontiac Bonneville seats.
I would recommend sticking to GM for alternate seating. GM was pretty good at retaining the bolt patterns so that you can re-use GMT400 tracks & risers.

sethtaylor

Reaction score
It's the little motor inside the cluster for the tach.
They usually don't die, so one from a wrecker cluster will work.

Are you considering changing the dash to the '95 up?
People have done that, but IIRC, it wasn't a simple swap.
1995 is the odd-ball of the these trucks, so it may be best to look at '96-'98 as a donor. Not sure if the '95 has it's own issues when it comes to how the electronics in the dash. Those '95's are not true OBDI nor OBDII. Sometimes referred to as OBDI.5.
Ditto for the steering column. It may or may not be a prob., but why find out if it's not going to work via trial-&-error?
As far as the seats, later model ('95+) extra-cab passenger seats require some mods to either the floor or the tracks/risers to be able to fit a Standard Cab. Other than that, virtually any seat from a GMT400 will work.
There are members here that have utilized seats from other vehicles, such as AstroVan & Pontiac Bonneville seats.
I would recommend sticking to GM for alternate seating. GM was pretty good at retaining the bolt patterns so that you can re-use GMT400 tracks & risers.

i have a 1996 gmc sierra extended cab that i am getting the dash and the whole interior from. I am wanting to change the seats to as they are in very good condition and i can easily make changes on them as far as the tracks and risers. So then will my ac system just hook right up or what all do i have to change for that all to work???