Swapping a tbi with a vortec please help I have a 1993 k1500 with a tbi engine an I want to put a 98 vortec engine! What do I have to change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just looked at all applications: Says "Out of Stock"

Kit description says "8" injectors.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't that upgrade spider set up, very expensive? Been a long time since in the shops, so I am unsure.

I have used the Standard Motor ones for years from Oreilly. The last one I bought from them about a year ago was the same Delphi unit GM reboxes as their own. Since Aptiv bought out Delphi, no idea though if they are the same.

Eldelewis

Reaction score
I have a 1993 k1500 with a tbi engine an I got a 1998 vortec engine an I was wondering what am I gonna have to do to put that vortec in the 93 Chevy
I did the swap a few years back into a 1989 Silverado. Pretty straightforward but there are some special items needed...
I bought a crate engine from Jeggs and opted to retain the TBI with 1989 computer and wiring. Harris Chips out of NC burned a chip for my ECM so the TBI will run correctly with the Vortec camshaft profile. They have several options for their profiles. I also got a higher pressure fuel pump kit (stock GM Vortec era pump with TBI pressure spring upgrade) from Harris at the same time. I would recommend the fuel pump upgrade even if you do not do the swap,
GM makes a TBI to Vortec aluminum intake. Pricey but pretty much bolt in. Others have used a carb intake with a TBI adapter; I used the GM intake - looks factory. Original throttle body, distributor, coil, oil pressure sender, etc are direct bolt in.
EGR on Vortec intake is in a different location requiring the driver side exhaust manifold and EGR tube from a Vortec engine. I had a boneyard donor for that. Original EGR valve works.
If you stick with TBI, the crank sensor hole in the timing cover of the Vortec engine has to be sealed. I left a crank sensor in the hole with nothing connected to it, no leaks or issues so far.
I changed the O2 sensor to a 3-wire heated sensor. I added a 3-wire plug, used the stock sensor wire and ran a ignition on power and ground. The 1-wire O2 sensor will work but 3-wire gets to closed loop faster.
I run my timing per 1989 TBI specs - seems to be working just fine.
My truck did not have the factory oil cooler setup to the radiator but my donor engine did. I swapped that over with new cooling lines and new {bigger} radiator with the factory oil cooler setup.
No changes to engine mounts, exhaust, radiator hoses, heater hoses, A/C mounting or routing, alternator, water pump, fan, power steering - all of my accessories mounted right up.

Attachments

• IMG_20130719_153322_199.jpg
    IMG_20130719_153322_199.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20130719_153345_825.jpg
    IMG_20130719_153345_825.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 6

Eldelewis

Reaction score
I did the swap a few years back into a 1989 Silverado. Pretty straightforward but there are some special items needed...
I bought a crate engine from Jeggs and opted to retain the TBI with 1989 computer and wiring. Harris Chips out of NC burned a chip for my ECM so the TBI will run correctly with the Vortec camshaft profile. They have several options for their profiles. I also got a higher pressure fuel pump kit (stock GM Vortec era pump with TBI pressure spring upgrade) from Harris at the same time. I would recommend the fuel pump upgrade even if you do not do the swap,
GM makes a TBI to Vortec aluminum intake. Pricey but pretty much bolt in. Others have used a carb intake with a TBI adapter; I used the GM intake - looks factory. Original throttle body, distributor, coil, oil pressure sender, etc are direct bolt in.
EGR on Vortec intake is in a different location requiring the driver side exhaust manifold and EGR tube from a Vortec engine. I had a boneyard donor for that. Original EGR valve works.
If you stick with TBI, the crank sensor hole in the timing cover of the Vortec engine has to be sealed. I left a crank sensor in the hole with nothing connected to it, no leaks or issues so far.
I changed the O2 sensor to a 3-wire heated sensor. I added a 3-wire plug, used the stock sensor wire and ran a ignition on power and ground. The 1-wire O2 sensor will work but 3-wire gets to closed loop faster.
I run my timing per 1989 TBI specs - seems to be working just fine.
My truck did not have the factory oil cooler setup to the radiator but my donor engine did. I swapped that over with new cooling lines and new {bigger} radiator with the factory oil cooler setup.
No changes to engine mounts, exhaust, radiator hoses, heater hoses, A/C mounting or routing, alternator, water pump, fan, power steering - all of my accessories mounted right up.
BTW...
I forgot to explain that mine was not just a engine/transmission swap - that would have been relatively painless. I 'lucked' into a 1989 K2500 C6P donor that I used to do a frame off heavy duty 3/4 ton upgrade. What was intended to be a shorten the frame body swap became a full on resto project when a engine/transmission swap would have been much smarter and cheaper. When you start rebuilding the chassis of a long term farm truck you get to replace everything, and I seriously mean EVERYTHING. In the end, SWB 3/4 ton is awesome, Sportside looks good IMO and it will pretty much handle any towing task I ask it to. I know it is not for everyone, but it is kinda nice to have someone that knows there was never a 8 lug chassis under a SWB Sportside stop me in the parking lot and check it out.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a jump pack from Zukaka works great! I highly recommend it for hard starts in cold weather
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: