1993 C1500 Silverado - Modernized Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Today, starting the reverse install of the interior and also the extra goodies! That will include quite a bit of wiring.

With the help of my next door neighbor we got the headliner recovered and started the mods to install an overhead console, OAT gauge and the new KIA mirror with auto dimming and hone link. Also will be installing sound deadening along the way!
I like the sunvisor treatment; are those pleats or pockets(like people used to have on the visor for papers or CDs)? Thanks!

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the sunvisor treatment; are those pleats or pockets(like people used to have on the visor for papers or CDs)? Thanks!
They are decorative pleats…they match the ones n the redone door panels. I had them done at a local upholsterer shop. They need a bit of work still.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 31

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest Updates: Headliner, upper center console, rood sound deadening and molding starting to go in. I’m working in reverse order to the recommended method for removal while I’m incorporating other components and wiring. Also installed the rear defrost grid and have run all the new wires down the left aft pillar and through the channel by the driver’s side door. Next is continuing to paint the interior panels the lighter tan, installing the panels, carpet and more sound deadening. Will also probably pull the driver’s seat back out so I can get to the under dash wiring I’ve run so far.

The overhead console incorporated wiring from the new dimmable mirror with HomeLink, the new map lights & an Outside Air Temperature gauge.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1141.jpeg
    IMG_1141.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 45

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed the Cunningham Machine steering shaft and Redhead steering box. Noticeable improvement here but still has a small dead spot that makes it hard to steer down the road. I’m taking it into the shop to have them take a look at the front end. FYI…have the same “squishy” noise others have reported after this install. Will be chasing that down.
Did you figure anything out about this? I've got the same setup plus the bearing from Wolff Engineering. I've had 2 shops look at it and neither have been able to find the issue(s).

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That headliner setup looks really nice, but wait-a-minute, tell me about this rear window defrost
Sorry for the delay…I’ve been busting my butt to get things back together…the paint shop is finally done with the bed! The defroster is a Clear View system from The PaperKnive Company out of Colorado. I bought the option to add control of the side view mirrors as well. Working through wiring all of that in to the new wire bundles…I’m in wiring hell…but it’s working out!

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 26

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you figure anything out about this? I've got the same setup plus the bearing from Wolff Engineering. I've had 2 shops look at it and neither have been able to find the issue(s).
Sorry to take so long to respond. It’s not figured out yet because the the truck had been in the paint shop and now tasking up all 3 bays of the garage getting things finished up. I approached Redhead directly about it a while back and they sent me some things to try…unfortunately the truck hasn’t been in any kind of shape to do so just yet. Here’s part of what they wrote back…I also attached the procedures they’re having me go through.

I’m hoping to have the bed back on this week and can go through the tests.
I would get in touch with them directly with your issue.

To address the play in the steering wheel, we would like to have you perform our Isolation Test and, if at all possible, email us a video. Depending on what the video shows, we may have you do a minor adjustment on the gearbox to get things dialed in, or the video may show that there is something else going on. I have attached a copy of our Isolation Test Instructions. The most important parts of this test are that the steering gear needs to be on center and the engine must be running. These instructions ask you to turn the input shaft right at the gearbox, which helps eliminate any potential play in the intermediate shaft; however, you can instead have someone in the vehicle wiggling the steering wheel across center where the play is and then someone else can be down below shooting a video of the gearbox so that we can see the input shaft movement compared to the pitman arm movement.

Attachments

• SIMPLIFIED ISOLATION TEST.pdf
    173.6 KB · Views: 11

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posting another udpate…things are moving along! The paint shop is done with the bumpers, bed & misc parts. I’m working very hard on getting the interior back in shape enough to get the rig over to them so they can make it a whole truck again.

Finishing up or adding the following: Soundproofing, changing the dash and interior panel colors to a two tone tan/brown, routing all the wiring to a new bus bar/fuse set-up that will be under the new center console from a 2015 High Country…same as the new seats, updating the instrument cluster a bit…not new…just refreshing. Also, starting the incorporation of the new stereo.

I’m getting excited to get this done and back on the road…meanwhile…if anyone has suggestions for a tonneau set up that would be awesome! Would love a retractable one but having a hard time finding one that works. I may also consider a rolling Back-Flip type.

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1256.jpeg
    IMG_1256.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 32

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to take so long to respond. It’s not figured out yet because the the truck had been in the paint shop and now tasking up all 3 bays of the garage getting things finished up. I approached Redhead directly about it a while back and they sent me some things to try…unfortunately the truck hasn’t been in any kind of shape to do so just yet. Here’s part of what they wrote back…I also attached the procedures they’re having me go through.

I’m hoping to have the bed back on this week and can go through the tests.
I would get in touch with them directly with your issue.
I did that, they said basically the same thing to me. They identified one possible issue so I addressed that but no luck and now we're at a loss for what to do next.