1993 C1500 Silverado - Modernized Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We run a defroster on our race car because our race series shoots for off-season dates for our tracks. It usually rains during our Houston race, the Atlanta race is in December, etc.

I've had to install the aftermarket defroster, and it's pretty fiddly. It's hard to find one that's sized to the width and height of your window, so don't expect it to be like factory. The lines are floppy, but need to be pressed into place on the glass. Get a grease pencil and mark out where it's going to go, then start on one end and stick it down. Lay it down across the window as you peel the backing out from under your work. Keep an eye on your target marking and try to stay on track. Having someone on the outside looking across can help keep your lines straight.

Once it's done, you can't use a scraper or razor blade to clean stuff off your window. It's more sensitive to scraping than a factory defroster window.

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did that, they said basically the same thing to me. They identified one possible issue so I addressed that but no luck and now we're at a loss for what to do next.
That doesn’t look good at all. I’m hopefully getting my bed back on this week and can start working the issue…I’ll let you know.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That doesn’t look good at all. I’m hopefully getting my bed back on this week and can start working the issue…I’ll let you know.
The last shop I had mine out actually did see another issue, they called me today. I thought since they didn't say anything about it when I picked it up they had no luck.

Apparently the outer tie rods have play in them where they mount to the knuckle. These were preemptively replaced at the start but with the play everywhere else I guess it was hard to see that the new ones had an issue. Hopefully this is the final piece for mine.

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last shop I had mine out actually did see another issue, they called me today. I thought since they didn't say anything about it when I picked it up they had no luck.

Apparently the outer tie rods have play in them where they mount to the knuckle. These were preemptively replaced at the start but with the play everywhere else I guess it was hard to see that the new ones had an issue. Hopefully this is the final piece for mine.
Crossing my fingers for you. I had my front end looked at before I made the changes and they said it checked out fine. However, something could have been missed as it is an older vehicle...and “fine” could have meant ”fine for an older vehicle.”

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We run a defroster on our race car because our race series shoots for off-season dates for our tracks. It usually rains during our Houston race, the Atlanta race is in December, etc.

I've had to install the aftermarket defroster, and it's pretty fiddly. It's hard to find one that's sized to the width and height of your window, so don't expect it to be like factory. The lines are floppy, but need to be pressed into place on the glass. Get a grease pencil and mark out where it's going to go, then start on one end and stick it down. Lay it down across the window as you peel the backing out from under your work. Keep an eye on your target marking and try to stay on track. Having someone on the outside looking across can help keep your lines straight.

Once it's done, you can't use a scraper or razor blade to clean stuff off your window. It's more sensitive to scraping than a factory defroster window.
I’ll try to remember to give a report after mine has been in service for a while. The install procedure was a bit tricky and would have been easier with one other person…but in all…not bad. Understanding the instructions was actually harder than doing the job. The inside maintenance hopefully won’t be a big issue as I don’t put stickers on…the outside is all glass.

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been a lot of progress since my last post. Pushing extremely hard to get into a driveable condition so I can unload the garage and get it back to its intended use…not a repair shop.

Finishing up the interior transformation: New paint, installed the stereo, new speakers, updated the dash, dash lights, took most everything apart and cleaned (to a point), new carpet, updated the door panels, fixes some broken parts with new (lower dash panels, door arm rests, door switch panels, door felt window seals, etc.).

New electrical busses & fuses are coming along nicely and will be hidden under the center console. That took a lot of patience and is still in the works as I install new systems. I spent the last several days upgrading my 2015 High Country seats with new heating and cooling mods from leatherseats.com…that will be worthy of a post in itself.

More to come in postings on some of the individual items as I finish out and before I loose the “lessons learned” from my build. In the meantime I hope everyone has an awesome Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1345.jpeg
    IMG_1345.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 34

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been a lot of progress since my last post. Pushing extremely hard to get into a driveable condition so I can unload the garage and get it back to its intended use…not a repair shop.

Finishing up the interior transformation: New paint, installed the stereo, new speakers, updated the dash, dash lights, took most everything apart and cleaned (to a point), new carpet, updated the door panels, fixes some broken parts with new (lower dash panels, door arm rests, door switch panels, door felt window seals, etc.).

New electrical busses & fuses are coming along nicely and will be hidden under the center console. That took a lot of patience and is still in the works as I install new systems. I spent the last several days upgrading my 2015 High Country seats with new heating and cooling mods from leatherseats.com…that will be worthy of a post in itself.

More to come in postings on some of the individual items as I finish out and before I loose the “lessons learned” from my build. In the meantime I hope everyone has an awesome Christmas!
I think I remember that someone asked to see pictures of the “before“ and “after” on the 2” rear shackle drop. I’ll try to get some better pictures…but for now…here you go! I really like the difference stance. Now the wheel & tire decision. I’m leaning towards the Cooper Cobras that are suggested in other threads here, polishing up the existing wheels and buying smooth center caps.

Attachments

• IMG_9785.jpeg
    IMG_9785.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 12

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Continued progress: I’m 90% done and only have 50% to go!
- Refurbished door panels installed.
- High Country seats installed and power hooked up. Still have to hook up the power to the ventilated heating/cooling.
- New sneakers installed and new smooth wheel center caps ordered. You can see the effect of the 2” rear drop shackles and how it levels out the truck.
- Also, swing storage cases installed in bed. Still trying to figure out which bed cover…

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1445.jpeg
    IMG_1445.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1452.jpeg
    IMG_1452.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1456.jpeg
    IMG_1456.jpeg