1992 GMC Sierra XC, front fender bolts HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
completely removed front fenders to replace them with a better set from wrecking yard. Only issue is, not all the 13mm head bolts are the same length! That was not the case in the YOUTUBE vids I watched. Now, I have a pile of bolts for each side and when I go to install the new fenders, I stupidly cannot remember which goes where. Can anyone help or point me to a manual that may show which size goes where? Haynes or Clymer manual?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Separate the bolts by size, should be 2 different sizes, the ones you have more of will go from the inner fender to the outer, then I believe you should have 4 left ( different from the others) one goes in each corner of the outer fender.

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My inner is attached to my outer still.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20230425_173450.jpg
    20230425_173450.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 9

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't get either the old or new fenders on and remotely lined up! What is the trick? Do I need to separate the inner from the outer to mount em? Seems stupid if so. I can get the top in place but the bottom is way off. And the top corner is wedged against the door. WTF is the trick?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Put the truck on stands and take the wheels off . There is a reason that the outer fender and inner fender are two seperate pieces, it is for ease of assembly, your inability to get them on as an assembly shows why it is not stupid. The bolt lenght is not important. I have replaced all of the bolts on my '90 with the same length. The 25 mm length wiil work fine for all locations. Fit the outer fender first.
There are one bolt that goes through the fender into the core support front of the outer fender on top at the very front end, two more when you open the doors on on each hinge facing forward, one from the bottom facing up behind the rear edge of the wheel opening, one facing down under the hood mounting pivot and depending the year two or three on each side of the core support. one goes through the fender into the core support right above where the bumper is. The other bolts come from the core support in to the fender. There are shims needed at the bolts in the hinges and under the hood pivot locations. once that is aligned THEN you worry about the inner fender.

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's stupid it came out easily as one unit but needs to be separated to reinstall it. Why do I need to pull the tires?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next time grab some zip lock bags and a sharpie, it takes just couple of seconds to write on them where and what they fit.
It will keep you from pulling your hair out and screaming WTH over and over....

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I managed to get the passenger side fender and liner installed today. I dunno what kind of wizard you need to be to align these damn things but it seems impossible. The top gap is nonexistent while the bottom is 1/4". Even with all the bolts loose there was NO WAY to even wiggle any adjustment in fit. Same thing on driver side. I don't get it....this is just dumb