1990 GMC Sierra Street/Strip Build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
When you first said gold for the wheels I threw up in my mouth a little bit, but they really look good!

Gold and (that) green go great together. I've known that from my days of being a track rat at a local dirt track. Also, the racecar with that green & gold was towed behind a mid 70's Dodge truck that was maroon with wide gold wagon wheels. Also sounds gross as I'm typing it, but looked great in person.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, when I was a kid we had neighbors who had both a Lil Red Express and a green Warlock. The Warlock had gold pinstriping over the green, and it was beautiful.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really want to get the truck to the car wash to get the frame and engine bay wash, so I can get them painted.... but the shop is in the back yard and there isn't a driveway to it... 90% of the time its fine because it's flat and grass (and the ground is packed well back there), but the top is a little slickery right now, and I don't want to spin up the yard.

I'm suppose to get the engine tonight, so in the morning I'm going to try and back in there, dump off the ls and load the 4.3 and 700r (told the guy I would drop it off to him.) If that goes well, I'll go ahead and snack the truck up.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a ls in the black truck today... I got the ls mounts in the mail today, so two steps closer.

The motor is all stock, except for a btr stage 2 truck cam. The computer has a tune and the vats shut off. I got the wiring harness and the dbw stuff, not sure if I’ll convert to dbc or not.

I hear some of the later model gen 3 blocks had the gen 4 rods/pistons from the factory, I’m hoping this is one of those. If it’s not, I’m cleaning it up and giving it a rattle can rebuild and slapping it in. If it has the gen 4 rods and pistons, I’ll probably pull it about and gap the rings...

If gen 3 internals, I’m going to get a gt45 turbo and shoot for 600ish... if gen 4 internals, I’ll get s475 or 78/75 and shoot for a bit more hp. Either way, it’ll be fun.

You must be registered for see images attach

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I needed to unload the ls and load the 4.3/700r4.... I figured I would do it early this morning while the ground was still frozen. I got the ls out fine, but when I was loading the 4.3/700r4, I had it hovering over the tailgate but wanted to move it over, so I gave the cherry picker and little shove over and the wheel caught a rock or something, and well, it flipped the cherry picker over... luckily the motor was only an inch or so about the bed, but it was scary.... The cherry picker leg kind of donkey kicked me in the shin, but it wasn't too bad...

I did get it loaded in my truck so i could get it out to the asphalt driveway for him....

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice bit of luck there and great to hear you didn’t get hurt. Like the speed you’re moving on this build. I’m gonna definitely keep an eye on how your motor build turns out. I’m about to start a build of my own here very soon. Down the road I would love to do a similar engine build but lower power level. I’d be fine with 400hp or so at the tire.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiosity since you’re building for the strip what kind of numbers are you shooting for?

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of curiosity since you’re building for the strip what kind of numbers are you shooting for?

Street/strip. 650ish hp. I call it the “race truck” because it makes my youngest son mad “there’s no such thing as a race truck, only a race car!”

It won’t be super fast, but it should Ben super fun.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got to work on the frame. Knocked the loose stuff off, but didn’t go over board. Also didn’t use pot 15, this is just rustoleum, which is just fine for a truck or this caliper.

I started with the outsides, I’ll get the undersides and the inner portions tomorrow, probably should of done it the other way around, but whatever. Just did the cab back. That’s about 20 mins of work.

I think I can finish the truck in about a day. It won’t be perfect, but it’ll be perfectly good enough.

One of the self service yards by me has a express van that should have a 4l80e IF it hasn’t been pulled yet, which I’m sure it has. I might try making a trip up there this weekend to see if it’s still there. If I can get a 4l80e for under 300 bucks I’m going that route, but I’m not going to spend 1000 bucks on one.