1989 oil pan gasket question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the 1989 k2500 can i replace the oil pan gasket without dropping the front suspension? I got the bellhousing and flywheel off

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
on the 1989 k2500 can i replace the oil pan gasket without dropping the front suspension? I got the bellhousing and flywheel off

I am not sure that I understand? Do you have the transmission out of the truck? You can drop the pan away from the block but there is not a lot of room to fit the gasket in there. Some folks stretch the gasket around the pan and get into position.

There is no reason to touch the suspension, dropping the front diff is an option that give a lot of room. I prefer to drop the diff so that I can clean the block, lower front cover groove and the rear main seal adapter and put RTV sealant at the 4 corners of the block where the front cover and rear main adapter butt up against the block.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was asking , as I am doing a new clutch. In the process i replaced the flywheel and installed a new rear main seal. I tried to finess the carrier back in but the oil pan gasket is old and not in the best condition anymore. So I want to replace it as well. It is leaking all around the block anyway

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have the transmission out, @evilunclegrimace , but the flywheel is back on , so is the clutch. What do you mean by stretch the gasket around?

Some folks take the gasket and literally stretch it around the outside of the oil pan and up to the top, others wiggle the gasket into the pan from the side and coax it into place..

I drop the diff and clean the block, seal the corners and install the new gasket.