Engine Bay has white smoke after oil cooler delete and pan gasket replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Vortec 5700 4WD Z71. I recently deleted my oil cooler lines and replaced several parts. I replaced the:

Oil Pan Gasket (FEL-PRO OS34500R)
Oil filter adapter (Melling MFA 350)
Oil filter adapter gasket (came with the pan gasket as a kit)
WIX XP 51060XP filter for a C/K 2500/3500
Replaced with Royal Purple 5W-30 synthetic oil
Also replaced the front diff gear oil with MasterPro 80W-90 gear oil

After starting the truck up, everything seemed to run fine. However, after driving 1/4 mile, I noticed white smoke coming from the engine bay. Also, the oil pressure seems high to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now this job was VERY MESSY. I originally wanted to replace my cooler lines with 2500/3500 cooler lines, but they were too short. I also tried replacing the oil filter adapter for one off a '97 Chevrolet C2500, but the adapter was too tall and the filter rubbed on my front driveshaft. I tried plugging the holes on the oil filter adapter with rubber stoppers, but the blew out and oil spilled everywhere. After my Dad and I cleaned it up, I went back and drained any excess oil, re replaced the adapter with the Melling MFA 350 adapter and screwed back on the WIX XP 51060XP oil filter. After driving a bit, said white smoke rose from the engine bay. I'm assuming it's excess oil burning off, but I'm not sure.

Also, there is no oil leaks either after a brief drive.

Take that adapter gasket off.
It is not needed and blocks the bypass valve in your adapter.
The oil filter gasket keeps the oil in.
The reason the melling doesnt come with that gasket is becuase it isnt supposed to have a gasket.
The only thing I ever do to that type of adapter is flat file it with a mill file to make sure the casting is flat.
Clean the inside of the filter mount.
Use good quality hardware, chase the crud out of the bolt holes and use medium locktite.
You can also use threadlocker on those bolts but I find that hardware so difficult to get at that I dont want to have to fight with it if I need to take that adapter back off for some reasom.
And I use a ph 454 filter.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, hear the one about the guy did oil cooler delete by sticking two rubber stoppers, like corks in a bottle, then wondered why all this white oil smoke came from? Should have video the plugs getting shot out when oil pressure came up. OMG, LOL, BWAHA! :jester:
You have now become a legend.

It was stupid. Oh well...no one was hurt, truck runs fine now and a valuable lesson was learned.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
It was stupid. Oh well...no one was hurt, truck runs fine now and a valuable lesson was learned.
:cheers:cheers for taking it as a learning experience, and letting the rest of us ride along. I'm sure we've all done something equally well intentioned and not fully thought out. Happy no catastrophic damge was done and no physical injuries.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:cheers:cheers for taking it as a learning experience, and letting the rest of us ride along. I'm sure we've all done something equally well intentioned and not fully thought out. Happy no catastrophic damge was done and no physical injuries.
Yeah, where is that 'stupid foreseeable **** I did to myself' thread?
>drain forklift oil
>fill forklift oil
>see pool come to my feet
>install drain plug, clean pool
>refill, start to test
>see pool come to my feet
>install oil filter, clean pool...