1988 GMC Vandura 5.7L Weird Overheating Issue (A-Team Drift Van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanGasm

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool project! I know you're not asking...But if the head gasket is actually bad the right thing to do is change it (or both in your best interest). Especially if this is going to be an actual "drift van," do it the right way and you won't be disappointed.

I know there's some bandaid fixes in a bottle to get you home...But sometimes those fixes show up later in the form of clogged coolant passages, heater core, or blocking some tubes in your new radiator causing other inefficiencies.
Well... it's official. Head gasket.

LS Time!!!!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the time and money it would take to upgrade a TBI motor... an LS is an easy decision.
Hope you get a 6.0 or 6.2. TBI engine is not hard to upgrade with all the affordible aluminum heads out there. Aluminum head 383 or 406 would drop right in place of the old 350 and burn the tires off that van, LS not so easy of a swap. Budget 2x what you think the swap is going to cost you.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aluminum head 383 or 406 would drop right in place of the old 350 and burn the tires off that van
I have these heads on my 88 TBI, bolted right up, used chromoly push rods (for the guide plates), and full roller 1.6 rockers. Great price ($899) when I bought them :waytogo:

VanGasm

Reaction score
Hope you get a 6.0 or 6.2. TBI engine is not hard to upgrade with all the affordible aluminum heads out there. Aluminum head 383 or 406 would drop right in place of the old 350 and burn the tires off that van, LS not so easy of a swap. Budget 2x what you think the swap is going to cost you.
Aiming for the 6.0 HO from an Escalade as luxury car owners typically don't abuse their vehicles.

Budgeting 10K for this, but pretty sure I'll get it done for $5k with the harness, tranny, and accessories.

VanGasm

Reaction score
I have these heads on my 88 TBI, bolted right up, used chromoly push rods (for the guide plates), and full roller 1.6 rockers. Great price ($899) when I bought them :waytogo:

Super tempting, but I"ll have a 6.0L and 4L60E in the driveway in the next few days. My plan is to pull the 5.7TBI with everything on it and 700r4 and put it for sale as a combo. I've replaced just about everything on the motor, rebuilt the tbi, new sensors, etc, etc, etc. Somebody will get a cool project motor at a steal.

VanGasm

Reaction score
Super tempting, but I"ll have a 6.0L and 4L60E in the driveway in the next few days. My plan is to pull the 5.7TBI with everything on it and 700r4 and put it for sale as a combo. I've replaced just about everything on the motor, rebuilt the tbi, new sensors, etc, etc, etc. Somebody will get a cool project motor at a steal.
Just picked up a 2004 Escalade with a strong running 6.0L. Currently going through the parts list to get the bits and pieces for the swap. should have done this from the beginning.

VanGasm

Reaction score
Bits and piece are coming in for the 6.0L LS swap. Just picked up an Eaton Posi for it. Anybody know what stock gear ratios came in the rear end?

Haven't jacked the van up to check and I'm away from it for the next few days. I recall the Napa guy saying 3.43 and 3.90 when I was ordering a fan clutch for the original TBI 350. Based on highway cruising RPM and the fan clutch matching the OEM, I believe it's 3.43. Just wanted to see what the internet says as the RPO codes are non existent and I'd like to get parts on order.

With the amount of power we're going to put to the tires to drift, I'm OK with the 3.43 as we'll be able to break the tires loose at a lower RPM. Thoughts?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bits and piece are coming in for the 6.0L LS swap. Just picked up an Eaton Posi for it. Anybody know what stock gear ratios came in the rear end?

Haven't jacked the van up to check and I'm away from it for the next few days. I recall the Napa guy saying 3.43 and 3.90 when I was ordering a fan clutch for the original TBI 350. Based on highway cruising RPM and the fan clutch matching the OEM, I believe it's 3.43. Just wanted to see what the internet says as the RPO codes are non existent and I'd like to get parts on order.

With the amount of power we're going to put to the tires to drift, I'm OK with the 3.43 as we'll be able to break the tires loose at a lower RPM. Thoughts?
RPO codes should be in the "glove box" on the engine cover. Most likely GU6 3.42, but I have seen GT4 3.73 and GQ1 is 3.08.

LS with 3.42s probably will not even chirp a tire.