1988 GMC Vandura 5.7L Weird Overheating Issue (A-Team Drift Van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanGasm

Reaction score
RPO codes should be in the "glove box" on the engine cover. Most likely GU6 3.42, but I have seen GT4 3.73 and GQ1 is 3.08.

LS with 3.42s probably will not even chirp a tire.
Thanks. I assume the 3.42. We're putting in a tuned high output 6.0 from a caddy in it. Likely 400hp and 425+ft/lbs. I think you're right about the traction, especially once we get the posi in it. Guess we're likely to gear down.

VanGasm

Reaction score
Thought you guys might want to see some progress. Follow the van on Instagram @van.gasm

Attachments

• messages_0 (5).jpeg
    messages_0 (5).jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 10
  • messages_0 (6).jpeg
    messages_0 (6).jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 10

VanGasm

Reaction score
NEED HELP!

I'm selling the engine/trans out of the van complete down to the wiring harness. I am trying to figure out how to depin the wires from the bulkhead connection at the firewall. I've searched around a bit, but don't know how these specific connections can be depinned from the plug. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_183305253.jpg
    PXL_20220723_183305253.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 9

VanGasm

Reaction score
NEED HELP!

I'm selling the engine/trans out of the van complete down to the wiring harness. I am trying to figure out how to depin the wires from the bulkhead connection at the firewall. I've searched around a bit, but don't know how these specific connections can be depinned from the plug. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.
These things were a total pain in the ass. I found what the internal part looked like and couldn't depin them despite all the tools. Eventually just pulled them through the front and clipped them right behind the connector.

Good news story on the motor and trans. A young soldier showed up today in a 1983 Custom Deluxe 10. Exhaust leaking so loud I could hear him from a half mile away. When he turned the corner, it was the perfect junkyard find with all the junkyard numbers still on the patina'd body. Loaded up everything from the fan to the gas pedal and watched him drive away smiling. Looking forward to seeing his swap with VanGasm's old motor.

The rest of the build starts this week. Going to work from the rear bumper forward so that I don't get too excited and hasty about getting the LQ9 running and to the tune shop. More to follow. IG @van.gasm

VanGasm

Reaction score
Makin' Progress.

Got the fuel pump replaced and fuel ran to the motor. Intake manifold on. Exhaust manifolds in place (waiting on new bolts). And first timing copper alloy brake lines to the drift brake--so I'll be redoing them with proper tools tomorrow.

The permanent PCV valve in this motor perplexed. Ended up removing the valve cover and spraying a butt ton of cleaner through it to get it working again.

Super stoked to get this thing runnin.

You must be registered for see images attach

VanGasm

Reaction score
Exhaust is on, running well, no overheating!!!

On the way home from the exhaust shop, engine threw a code. Low voltage on the knock sensor. That's what I get for buying non-AC Delco parts... will be pulling the intake and installing new knock sensors...