1988 GMC K1500 Fuel Pump Relay Wiring -- Need Urgent Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So, I got this 1988 GMC Sierra SLX a year and a half ago, the original engine's oil pump got clogged up with some kind of silver flakes, radiator exploded, dropped a new engine in it, in the process of getting it dialed in and timed, a buddy advanced the timing way too far after I switched the fuel pressure regulator and the throttle body shot up ten feet of flames, burnt the wiring harness pretty bad.
So I rewired everything, soldered new wire in place of the burnt ones, and it can almost start, but the fuel pump's not running.
I put a new fuel pump in it shortly before it went up in flames. There's that fuel relay on the firewall next to the distribution block with five wires. It's got five prongs, but it's only got four wires going to it.
"E", the gray wire, is missing. One buddy said the connector was broke a while ago and pried it out of the connector with a small screwdriver. I can't find it coming out of the ECM connectors, and I don't know what to do. I've got a few other wiring harnesses, but the gray wire is spliced into a spade with two wires going separate ways to plugs ins that are different on mine. Another buddy told me to run a jumper wire between the orange and red wires, but that didn't do anything. I need some help here. Anyone know how I can wire it so that it runs right, I'm all ears.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The relay has five prongs but four wires because it's a standard automotive relay with normally open contacts and normally closed contacts. The diagram molded or printed on the side of the relay will have the diagram of how it functions and the terminal numbers, which are also stamped next to the terminals.

NOTE! I've discovered that not all of these relays have the terminals in the same places. Always read the diagram and ensure when you replace a relay that the new relay matches.

The two coil terminals can be swapped with no issue. The two normally open terminals can also be swapped with no issue. Two of your wires will connect to the coil, or "control" side. The other two of your wires will connect to the contact, or "load" side of the relay.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may help. Look for the :"usable Link" and the "Fuel Control Inline Fuse"
You must be registered for see images attach