1988 dash speaker replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taconic

Reaction score
My original Delco cdm amp was doa. I replaced it with a 1994 cdm amp and installed a Sirius radio. Now I find that the original speakers sound like crap. Thinking about replacing them with Kicker KSC4604 speakers in the dash corners. Supposedly a direct replacement without modifications. Do the grill covers lift off or do I need trim tools to remove them? Any other speakers recommended to be used with the Delco cdm amp would be appreciated.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My original Delco cdm amp was doa. I replaced it with a 1994 cdm amp and installed a Sirius radio. Now I find that the original speakers sound like crap. Thinking about replacing them with Kicker KSC4604 speakers in the dash corners. Supposedly a direct replacement without modifications. Do the grill covers lift off or do I need trim tools to remove them? Any other speakers recommended to be used with the Delco cdm amp would be appreciated.
I'm a huge fan of infinity speakers, but I'm honestly not sure what would be best for your 88, as I believe you're stuck with 4" speakers in the stock location. Depending on your budget and what you need from a set of speakers you can put a set of 6.5" speakers in the kick panel. I have a set of these for my 97, and I'm quite happy with them, though the enclosure does cost more than a decent set of speakers to fill them with.

https://www.qlogicenclosures.com/products/q-logic-q-forms-ql-k1001c-b

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Do the grill covers lift off or do I need trim tools to remove them?

There are 2 metal clips in the front and tabs in the back. Carefully pry up at the front corners until the clips release, then pull the covers up and toward you. Be very careful or the clips in the front will break. You can accomplish this with a flat blade screwdriver.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
The general consensus around here is that Kicker KS is one of the better oval 4x6 speakers you can put in the 88-94 interior style

Even if your clips break off the bottom you can JB weld, super glue or whatever them back on. Not a huge deal. Just don't break the actual grille

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Skip Kicker, go with these and be forever done should you wish to only use factory mounting locations:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-l9Lajwe0N3B/p_1084621CFP/Infinity-Kappa-462-11cfp.html

Very impressive frequency response across the board and very pleasing to the ears for what they are. I'd argue they're the best you'll get for the application. I have my EQ set to -1 for 60hz, -4 or 5 for 1khz and then -1 for 16khz, flat everywhere else. Do yourself a favor and buy the speaker wire harness adaptors and everything up front will line up perfectly. It'll be a snug fit with the insulation but no modification is needed beyond deeper fastners. Luckily I've got Ford stuff laying around that fit the bill perfectly and was also 7mm.

Out back is a different story. To make them fit back there you'll need to flip the speakers 180 degrees (Tweeter facing the floor pan) and figure out a spacer to raise the speakers up about a 1/2". I used sections of rubber tubing on each of the four mounting corners, pierced with the fastener. I got them as tight as I could before I saw the speaker tabs flexing. No issues and they fit just dandy behind the factory trim and such.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Skip Kicker, go with these and be forever done should you wish to only use factory mounting locations:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-l9Lajwe0N3B/p_1084621CFP/Infinity-Kappa-462-11cfp.html

Very impressive frequency response across the board and very pleasing to the ears for what they are. I'd argue they're the best you'll get for the application. I have my EQ set to -1 for 60hz, -4 or 5 for 1khz and then -1 for 16khz, flat everywhere else. Do yourself a favor and buy the speaker wire harness adaptors and everything up front will line up perfectly. It'll be a snug fit with the insulation but no modification is needed beyond deeper fastners. Luckily I've got Ford stuff laying around that fit the bill perfectly and was also 7mm.

Out back is a different story. To make them fit back there you'll need to flip the speakers 180 degrees (Tweeter facing the floor pan) and figure out a spacer to raise the speakers up about a 1/2". I used sections of rubber tubing on each of the four mounting corners, pierced with the fastener. I got them as tight as I could before I saw the speaker tabs flexing. No issues and they fit just dandy behind the factory trim and such.
I was looking at these to replace mine in the back, thanks for doing the testing for me!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would second the recommendation for a plate speaker with a round bass driver like the Infinity Kappas. They're going to be better than any of the oval options. However if anyone is looking for something cheaper, the Kicker KS 4x6s are a great option.

Taconic

Reaction score
My Silverado truck does not have rear speakers although the amp has the capability. The noise level in the cab is noisy compared to my 2011 Silverado so I don’t know if I need state of the art speakers. Ebay has the Kappas for $115 a pair. Kickers are $63. The Kappas have an impedance of 2.5 ohms and the Kickers are 4 ohms. Not sure what the original speakers are. Also are the grill clips on the front as you look at it from the inside or are the clips near the windshield.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My Silverado truck does not have rear speakers although the amp has the capability. The noise level in the cab is noisy compared to my 2011 Silverado so I don’t know if I need state of the art speakers. Ebay has the Kappas for $115 a pair. Kickers are $63. The Kappas have an impedance of 2.5 ohms and the Kickers are 4 ohms. Not sure what the original speakers are...
The original speakers are something high like 16 ohms. Supposedly it was to help GM get away with thinner gauge speaker wire. The amplifier sections from 1992-1994 are what you'd want as they are stable down to 2 ohm, not to mention they've got more oomph and do an easier job reproducing lower frequencies.

It's not so much about state of the art speakers as it is about ear fatigue. Sh-tty speakers will still irritate your ears no matter how loud the truck gets inside short of you running a jackhammer in the cab. They tend to over exaggerate certain midrange frequencies.. This is also why I've got the 1khz band tuned down to -4 on my radio as that area tends to make my ears bleed.. My truck is loud, rattles & squeaks but I very much enjoy listening to my stock EQ radio with the auxiliary input mod. Now, it doesn't come close to matching how awesome my JBL L150A's and Marantz 510M at home sound but its a vast improvement over the stock garbage. And I just hate the idea of oval speakers. These I'll keep beyond the truck itself maybe.