1975 Dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I got some work done today. I spent all day taking the box off. It’s finally looking like a work truck again rather than a U-Haul. I also started it today and there was smoke coming from the dash. I bypassed the ammeter to be safe and it didn’t correct it. I found the smoke coming somewhere around the floor near the bulkhead connector.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 9EE46CB7-AB3E-4306-8D40-959F2F4F39FC.jpeg
    9EE46CB7-AB3E-4306-8D40-959F2F4F39FC.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 1

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I got some work done today. I spent all day taking the box off. It’s finally looking like a work truck again rather than a U-Haul. I also started it today and there was smoke coming from the dash. I bypassed the ammeter to be safe and it didn’t correct it. I found the smoke coming somewhere around the floor near the bulkhead connector.
PLook

Look at the bulkhead connector, one will have a heavier gauge red wire. This is the wire that carries the heavy amps to the in dash amp gauge . Pull the bulk head connector loose from the firewall side and look there. The terminal pins build corrosion, create resistance and melt the plastic housing. A lot of Mopar guys pull the pins, drill the bulkhead connector and do a one piece run of wire through both pieces/sides of the bulk head connector to where ever you have the amp gauge bypassed. I didn't re-read the whole thread but sure you figured out this wire is hot all the time.

Nice progress but was really expecting to see some camper windows and shag carpeting. lol

Last edited:

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look at the bulkhead connector, one will have a heavier gauge red wire. This is the wire that carries the heavy amps to the in dash amp gauge . Pull the bulk head connector loose from the firewall side and look there. The terminal pins build corrosion, create resistance and melt the plastic housing. A lot of Mopar guys pull the pins, drill the bulkhead connector and do a one piece run of wire through both pieces/sides of the bulk head connector to where ever you have the amp gauge bypassed. I didn't re-read the whole thread but sure you figured out this wire is hot all the time.

Nice progress but was really expecting to see some camper windows and shag carpeting. lol
That’s a good idea on the drilling out the bulkhead connector. It got dark before I could do anything. It looks like a No. 10 wire so I’ll verify that and rewire that part. I’m thinking of redoing the ammeter for authenticity.

Nah I’ll pass on the shag carpeting….hard pass…

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had one same color was a 74 D100 with 400 Magnum sbsc. Do not apply water to clean underhood most of all at firewall yielded me a month of electrical problems, being not careful enough, Carter carb easy rebuild, broken timing chain was murder, 727 torque flight likes band adjustments will chirp hard with shift kit, 8.75 crysler pinion tailshaft bearing hell. Grill polishes up beautiful. Your supposed to dodge the salesman.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with 400 Magnum sbsc.
have no idea what that is. lol 400 Chrysler is a big block. Short deck b-block same physical dimensions as a 383 as opposed to 440 RB. 400 has largest bore in the Mopar BB family @4.34. With a 440 crank it's 451 inches and with a 4.15 ****** and .030 over it's 499. A 499 is a hella good fun in a street car dressed as a 383. I have one in the garage waiting for me to get motivated on my Duster.

You can't be serious on a car site the word S--t--r--o--k--e is censored

Last edited:

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had one same color was a 74 D100 with 400 Magnum sbsc. Do not apply water to clean underhood most of all at firewall yielded me a month of electrical problems, being not careful enough, Carter carb easy rebuild, broken timing chain was murder, 727 torque flight likes band adjustments will chirp hard with shift kit, 8.75 crysler pinion tailshaft bearing hell. Grill polishes up beautiful. Your supposed to dodge the salesman.
Good to know on washing out the engine bay. I thought about it but haven’t done it. The carb is needing a rebuild so that’s good to hear it’s easy. I know those four barrels get kind of tricky.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s another update on the truck. I spent the day tracing wires. The black wire coming off the alternator was linked with the ignition and when it was cold, it would start. Once the wire got hot (200+ degrees) the resistance built up and the coil wouldn't get power. I cut the same black wire from the bulkhead connector on both sides of the firewall and joined them through a hole I drilled underneath the BC.
Afterwards I found that my new voltage regulator was defective and I put the old one back on. Now I'm charging at 12.8V, starting every time with the key only, and not smoking wires. Of course I discover all of this after smoking my amp gauge and part of my instrument cluster housing.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that was my truck, I would turn it into a rescue 51 replica truck. Used to love that show, and still watch the reruns from time to time.
That’s a good idea. I just never watched Emergency except for maybe once. I’m only just out of high school.