65’ Malibu SS/ Backroad thrasher.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

WARNING!
Truthfully, I just enjoy either really upsetting the “purist” guys or ruining car-shows with my junk. If you Aren’t into the whole “Beater with a heater” or “grab another gear” type guy… you should just move along as I don’t care if it’s “valuable” or the “you are ruining that car!” statements.

Anyways! I picked up my other Chevelle I acquired along with two Vegas I did not want but alas, are mine now (please buy them). So one has to ponder now, what should I do with this Chevelle? The other one is already underway getting built into a proper strip car; as it was already headed that way sometime in the 70s/80s. But this car is little more rough, here’s a look!
You must be registered for see images attach

Most folks would say “Part it out!” Or my least favorite “Full restoration!”.

Here’s what I know about it. She was originally packing the High-output 327 with Muncie 4 speed, she’s a real deal SS car with Black bucket seats and all. Originally came dressed in the “Midnight Orchid” and had the rally style wheels. As you can tell, I believe there might have been a slight rearend collision. The frame isn’t bent and the shackle/leaf seem all fine, the car still tracks straight.

So what do you, do? I have a surplus of Chevy speed parts laying around and plenty of things that will make a car move. I have the 4 speed already getting gone through and I ordered a flywheel and clutch (everything to make the motor bolt up to a manual as well). I traded a SBF MSD distributor that I did not want for a running mild-power 305sbc that is ready to drop in and party.

So what’s left? I found the bellhousing amongst the other junk and I just gotta run some wires. I’ve already started building a switch panel and fuse block to run the car, nothing fancy. This weekend I’ll probably take the rims off and do a nice rattle can job on them. Maybe stop by the local sketchy tire shop and get some “not safe for road use probably” tires so she will roll.

Oh yeah, and brakes… I’ll do those I guess.

End goal? I’m thinking Duct Tape Drags out in Tucson next year. Current goal? I’m going to beat the ever living HECK outta this car. I’m talking grabbin’ gears with the foot on the sheetmetal, just-a boot scoot boogie’n down the backroads and bang’n da thing out of ditches. Maybe I’ll take it the dirt track on Saturday nights and make a couple laps!

Don’t hate me! I just can’t stand “Nut-Bolt restorations”. I much rather make something mechanically sound and have a lot of fun with it for what’s left. I can respect very well done restos and such, just not for me as I think it’s overplayed.

Take ya stuff and drive the hell out of it y’all!

Bryce,

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love "as found" rat rods. Not every car needs to be a show car with $20k paint on it. Spend that money on go-fast parts and enjoy it without having to worry about a parking lot door ding.

But in saying that... a true 65 SS from texas would be worth saving and restoring.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the frame in the rear. I’d remove the rear bumper and take my time to see if I could pull the quarter panel back out. Even if you had to put a new trunk pan in.

Then drive it.

Everyone is telling me to restore the 65 C10 my grandfather bought new, but I just drive it and enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_5576.jpeg
    IMG_5576.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's the anticipation of enjoyment, and there's the actual enjoyment. I think the perfectionist crowd revels in the anticipation, but shiny paint can't be seen from the inside. You'll get just as many thumbs up and gas station conversations with a good running old truck.

CNRED

Reaction score
Owned a 327 SS in 1974 and sold it only to regret the sale. Better do it now, than to regret it later. Not many left.
Other regrets 1956 Ford PU, 1969 Ford Torino GT, 1974 Kawasaki Mach III.