14 Bolt SF Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
any more info on this? still havent been ablke to get it done. whar about the torque specs.

You have to make set up bearings, just grind the id of both pinion bearings so they fit snugly on the new pinion. Install the pinion with the factory shim as a startin point along with you set up bearings. Tighten the pinion nut until you get 10-15 inch pounds of pre load (15-25 for new bearings).

As far as torque specs, tighten your bolts until they seem like they are going to strip and then tighten half a turn. Lol! Just kidding, I have the gm service manual, I printed a couple pages when I was doing mine and it helped me a lot. Pm me and I will send you the document.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here what i came up with messing some today
You must be registered for see images attach

any pointers?

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's too deep. What is your pinion shim thickness?

One trick you can take note is, when you see a sharp edge at the bottom of the pattern, the Pinion is too deep (too many shims), When you see sharp edges towards the top of the pattern, the pinion is too shallow, (must add shim thickness).

The backlash looks alright to me but, it is ok to have the drive side closer towards the Toe (inside diameter of the ring gear) since when the pinion deflects, it will tend to "climb" towards the heel of the ring gear.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ring Gear Backlash: .005-.009

Side Bearing Preload: Zero (tighten until nut contacts race) Plus 3 Slots

Pinion Preload: New- 20-25/ used- 10-15

Side Bearing Preload Adjusting Nut Lock Bolt: 22

Diff Cover: 20

Ring Gear To Diff: 105

Side Bearing Cap Bolts: 60

That Should Be All the Torque specs that you need for the rebuild. All Specs given are in ft/lbs

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i took one fo the pinon shims off and adjustd the backlash to .005. forgot to masure the pinon shims but th carrir shims are .205 i think

i still see a line but it looks like its getting shallowr? or am i just imagining things. should i bring th pinion back some more?

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the Pinion Shim Thickness out of curiosity? That still looks to deep to me, I would bring it out until the pattern is centred. It's a trial and error thing, go in big steps, try a 35 shim for example and if it's way too shallow, you will know that the correct shim is between your starting shim and the 35.