14 Bolt SF Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the patterns look fairly centred between the top and bottom of the tooth. I do realize that the drive side is closer towards the toe but according to yukon that is ok. I have yet to paint the housing.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That 0.064" shim pattern reads as if it is too deep. Flat on the bottom with a curved on top (rising sun) means there is too much shim.

This is what proper patterns look like:

You must be registered for see images attach

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that ****** me off, because I had it looking just like that with a 45 thou shim but changed it since the it wasn't listed as an acceptable pattern in the yukon pamphlet. What could happen If I run my gears like that, will it whine or possibly break something?

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I took the whole diif apart again, Kind of a pain but I'm glad that I did it. It's my first rebuild so I know it probably won't be perfect but I am a perfectionist so I have to try! I don't mean to be a pain but how does this pattern look? The drive side looks perfect to me but the coast side is questionable. All this using a 40 Thou shim behind the pinion.

Last edited:

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Better! Need to add a bit more gear lube to the paint.

What is the backlash?

Did you run the pattern using the wrench on the ring gear bolt method?

Based on the looks of that pattern, I want to say that 0.037" shim will do it.

Also, read the pattern from the coast side of the teeth as you more surface to read off of. This is espescially so for low (numerically high) ratios where the teeth are smaller. Notice all the pics I posted are of the coast side. I you have a good pattern on the coast side, you will have no issue.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great! My backlash is currently 8 thou which is in between spec. To Run the Pattern, I put the axle in while having someone put load on the yoke.

This is a 36 thou:

37 Thou:

38 Thou:

I'll Retry the 37 Thou with more marking compound.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how the 37 thou shim looks like as of now with 7 thou backlash. The coast side looks alright but the drive side doesn't have the nice "oval" pattern. Do I need a deeper pinion shim or is this normal?

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will hardly ever get a nice oval pattern. In all the diffs I put together I got that once, and that was a set of dragrace gears. Everything else has been like what you have seen in my pictures. I want to say you are on the money. Did you add more gear lube to the paint? How are you running the pattern?

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, good to know. So as long as the coast side is nice, the drive side doesn't necessarily matter. I am running the pattern with a rag and turning the ring gear by the bolts. I did add some gear lube to the paint.