14 bolt ff rear brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
First I realize my truck is bagged not lifted or what not, but this is the only brake section I could find.

So I've got a 14 bolt ff rear and the passenger rear brake locks up when coming to a full stop. I wanna take the drum off to have a look see as to what's going on. But alas I don't know how to do that. From a quick google search it appears I have to take the axle shaft out, and pull the whole hub off to get the drum off because they are pressed together. Is that the real deal? Sounds easy enough, but my main question is if I do all that am I required to change the bearings and seals? As of right now nothing leaks and there isn't any play or weird noises. So I would assume the bearings and seals are good. I realize if im pulling it apart it would be the best time to just go ahead and replace them while im there for piece of mind, but I don't have the cash to do all that right now. So, can I take it apart look at the brakes and just put it back together reusing the bearings and seals without any ill effects?

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yup, the real deal.

Axle shafts come out, the hub nut comes off and then you can remove the hub/drum combo.

It's actually pretty easy, although not as easy as just pulling a drum off and non FF axle.

You should at least replace the hub seals. Bearings seem to last forever so no worries there (normally). If you reuse the seals and they start leaking a week or so later, you'll be cursing yourself. They're not expensive anyways. Seals can be a bit of a Biotch to get out without a puller though...

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Are the seals attached to the hubs, or to the axle tube?

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
last time I did the brakes on my 97 k3500 as I was tapping the drum to get it moving over the shoes it separated and now I am able to just remove the drum like a sf axel. much handier.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone know what causes the rear drums to lock up? mine locks up on one side if i slam the brake hard. i just replaced both wheel cylinders and the shoes looked good.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
anyone know what causes the rear drums to lock up? mine locks up on one side if i slam the brake hard. i just replaced both wheel cylinders and the shoes looked good.

Don't know... That's the issue im looking to solve on my truck, except my passenger rear locks up every time I come to a stop.

Sent from the big block!

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i were you and the seals arent too new i would replace them. on my truck the seals went out so i pulled it apart and replaced them then a few months later a wheel cylinder went out so i had to pull it apart again. but i didnt replace the seals the second time but they werent that old. if i had to do it again i would replace as much as possible while im in there the first time. seals and wheel cylinders are cheap.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know... That's the issue im looking to solve on my truck, except my passenger rear locks up every time I come to a stop.

Sent from the big block!

Not sure if '93 has ABS but if you do you can check the wheel speed sensors with the frequency and voltage settings on your multimeter. Pull the axle shafts and then spin each wheel... Compare between the two sides.