10 bolt brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Leading/trailing vs duo servo, obviously the latter is preferable.
The duo servo is stock on my Yukon.
The leading/trailing is on my RC stepside.

Here's the question. Can the entire Yukon duo servo backing plate, shoes, drums get swapped to the stepside truck? Because the Yukon is getting a 9.5 14 bolt.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never done that, but I have every expectation it'll work as described. I can't remember if you'd need different park brake cables. When I changed my 8.5 axle to a 9.5 with Duo-Servo 11.x drums, I bought the Thexton tool to release the park brake cables. THE450, I think...but it's not on the Thexton site any more. None of the various park-brake tools are still listed.

God bless the 9.5".

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never done that, but I have every expectation it'll work as described. I can't remember if you'd need different park brake cables. When I changed my 8.5 axle to a 9.5 with Duo-Servo 11.x drums, I bought the Thexton tool to release the park brake cables. THE450, I think...but it's not on the Thexton site any more. None of the various park-brake tools are still listed.

God bless the 9.5".
Exactly right.
Thanks for the info...

I have another truck, my old blue GMC 1500 stepside. Thanks to New Yuck state, it's a rotted out shytbox. It originally had the leading/trailing brakes, and I swapped it over 9.5 14 bolt (that's the source of the Yukon's "new" axle).
The OE parking cables swapped directly from the leading/trailing setup to the 9.5, so I'd assume 10 bolt to 10 bolt will be direct also.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Axle update:
6-lug 14 bolt was swapped onto my Denali today. Had to permanently remove the rear sway bar. The 14 axle doesnt have the flat mounts for the bar. New stainless lines, braided hose to match the 2 front ones.
I figure that's OK, I am still planning on throwing the Denali's 10 bolt with its duo-servo brakes on the supercharged '89... and the sway bar with it. All win today!

Lastly, the rotted out '88 is slowly going on a diet. The stepside bed is already gone, no bumpers and permanently mounted tow bar. I removed the passenger door to begin repairing the rotted floors. Driver is next, and Ive got a 6" Rough Country lift kit in my spare parts inventory. Ultimately its gonna become a 4x4 farm implement. Kind of a tractor for my property. No doors, one seat, fuel cell on the passenger floor, forward facing exhaust that exit through the front wheel wells, a weight box, R1 tractor tires. And the leading/trailing crap brakes 10 bolt is headed toward her. Dont need even marginal brakes if I only have a 15MPH top speed.