10 Bolt Axle Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I believe it just went by year assuming this is the original rear end. I know I was doing a complete bearing swap for a friend of mine (axle, carrier and pinion bearings) on his 98 and when I picked up the bearings, some of them didn't fit. Found out (talked to the previous owner of the truck) the rear came from a '92 which had different sizes. Why there would be two sizes seems strange, I never recall that before. Just yank the old one and bring it with you. Too easy.
Could be wrong though, that's just my personal (limited) experience. That's when I learned to pick up both sizes if you don't want to pull the part first, especially if you're just doing a couple bearings, when you have to get two whole boxes of stuff it's a bit of a PITA but I live around 40 minutes from anything but a gas station, making runs into town all the time sucks.

Also rent, borrow, buy or steal a slide hammer (in case you didn't know). I have done them with a pry bar and a lot of cuss words, and I assure you, it's not worth f***ing with. It can be done but...why? Trust me on that one.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

*Edited for elaboration

Last edited:

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I'll be renting a slide hammer, but I'll be ordering my parts online. Ugh. Can't very well drive the truck with 3 wheels on it, and my 92 is being a b*tch right now. (This is for the 98).

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I'll be renting a slide hammer, but I'll be ordering my parts online. Ugh. Can't very well drive the truck with 3 wheels on it, and my 92 is being a b*tch right now. (This is for the 98).

Hmmm. You sir have a dilemma. I'd just order both man. You could of course measure it but that would be a pain. You'd have to do 90% of the work and then put it all back together to drive it. That's never much fun, but it is a pretty easy job I suppose. How much do they want for the bearings at the place you're looking? I forget what the ones were for my half ton but I thought they were pretty expensive. $40 a piece or something stupid like that. Stuff up here in Canada is way more expensive though.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well as bad as the sound is I'm counting on the axle being worn, and I can get a new axle, lugs, lug nuts, bearing, and seal for $95 on Amazon with 2 day shipping.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Good price from the sound of it. I can't really help you any further, good luck I hope you get it figured out with as little trouble as possible.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well out of curiosity I checked Advance's website, and National does make a repair bearing (one that moves the contacts to a different position if you have a worn axle), and I can get that bearing, a seal, 3 quarts of 80-90, and a diff gasket for like $40. May just do that.