How Much Can YOU Haul IN 1/2 Ton???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zchrisz

Reaction score
i've only put a max of a 1 ton in my 1500 so far, concrete, going to haul a ton of wood pellets with it, truck didn't even sag, then again i have air bags :)

cmull

Reaction score
I know its the wrong style truck.. but I feel it fits this thread. Hauled 2 yards of sand.. near 2 tons! made that trip twice. Didnt handle to bad! Springs already sagged and i had just orded new ones so i fuigured why not load em down?
You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

If you look closely you can see the right side is higher and not parallel to the driveway beneath it...

And this one you can see that the hitch is angled down. Next time I throw it up on the hoist ill get a picture of where I know for sure the frame is bent. Where the hitch mounts to the lower part of the frame is bent up and in like it started folding the bottom part of the frame in.

Probably bent the bumper extension brackets and maybe buggered up the frame ends.

Common thing with overloaded OEM style hitches.

There's 2 bolts per side in the frame holes and 1 bolt per side in the bumper extension brackets.

Not the best arrangement for a class IV hitch...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Not a 1/2 ton, but a full 8600lb 3/4:

Scaled a tick under 17,000 CGVWR.

Not an around the block trip either:

Averaged right around 13 mpg for the trip.

:)

Last edited:

bob_pfister

Reaction score
I know its not a 400 but here is a pic my 06 half ton hauling a little. We were stopped at about 7400 feet elevation on the way back home when this pic was taken.

I love this truck almost as much as my '96 crew cab which was busy hauling cows to new pasture the same weekend. My folks have a 2010 duramax and the ol' girl can run right with it most of the time. Like my wife always tells me "there is no replacement for displacement!":wink: