Can a Th700r4 be used for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xombi

Reaction score
Being grossly overweight and rolling thru the scales is at best an unpleasant expensive experience. Being grossly overweight and in an accident could cost you your freedom.
In my experience it can be easier to get an overweight load moving, than stopping. You will have an Oh Sugar moment, and a stain in the seat of your pants, if you live thru it.
A great philosopher once said, "Avoid doing stupid stuff that can get you locked up".

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You sure you don't have that backwards? Why TF would you put a TH400 behind a V6 and not a 350?
Believe it or not, it was one of the combinations. Had an '88 RCSB C1500 parts truck, 4.3 V6, TH400 (3L80) base model truck, confirmed w/SPID label original equipment.

Doesn't change the fact that this truck is not capable of pulling an 11k 5th wheel. PERIOD. He could get by with 11k on a flatbed, but no way in hell with that aero penalty would this truck ever dream of pulling a house down the road.
This.

Plus all the back-and-forth is beside the point that OP never answered the question about what specific truck he has anyway. OP when you say you have a 2500 it helps so much if you say 6 lug 2500 or 8 lug 2500 because they are two very different trucks.

Richard

scornedlotus

Reaction score
Believe it or not, it was one of the combinations. Had an '88 RCSB C1500 parts truck, 4.3 V6, TH400 (3L80) base model truck, confirmed w/SPID label original equipment.

This.

Plus all the back-and-forth is beside the point that OP never answered the question about what specific truck he has anyway. OP when you say you have a 2500 it helps so much if you say 6 lug 2500 or 8 lug 2500 because they are two very different trucks.

Richard
Sorry I have been slow to respond I have been dealing with my father's passing it's and 8 lug 350 small block with supposedly a 700r4 I'm fully lost at this point from everything I'm reading I honestly have no idea anymore... according to the gear shift there's. P, r, n, over driver, drive,2, and 1 the tuck is an 8 lug again. And the truck only has 172k and has been fully serviced it's hole life... never had any signs of metal or wear and tear in ant of its fluids the head gaskets were just replaced a month before I bought it, as for the valve cover gaskets, and timing was fully aligned with new chain.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I have been slow to respond I have been dealing with my father's passing it's and 8 lug 350 small block with supposedly a 700r4 I'm fully lost at this point from everything I'm reading I honestly have no idea anymore... according to the gear shift there's. P, r, n, over driver, drive,2, and 1 the tuck is an 8 lug again. And the truck only has 172k and has been fully serviced it's hole life... never had any signs of metal or wear and tear in ant of its fluids the head gaskets were just replaced a month before I bought it, as for the valve cover gaskets, and timing was fully aligned with new chain.
If possible at all, can you get a picture of the SPID label in your glovebox? The 1988-1994 models unfortunately often have illegible labels because they're on the floor of the glovebox :( but in case we might be able to make out the RPO code for the transmission, that might shed more light.

It would be really uncommon to see a TH700R4 in an 8 lug 2500, that's why I brought up the possibility of it being a 6 lug. It's entirely possible one also got swapped in there over the lifespan of the truck. They're inarguably a light duty transmission and not up to the job you want to throw at it.

You can quickly identify the 700R4 by several features. The pan is pretty much square, has 16 bolts (so does the 700's younger brothers - 4L60/4L60E) - the 700 will have a TV (throttle valve) cable that is critical to line pressure and shift behavior, this cable attaches at the throttle crank on the side of your TBI and runs down to the passenger side of the case just above the pan, attaches with a single bolt. Driver side has a domed sheetmetal governor cover just ahead of the tailshaft housing. Some google image searches will help you identify whether that's really what you have in there.

Richard

scornedlotus

Reaction score
If possible at all, can you get a picture of the SPID label in your glovebox? The 1988-1994 models unfortunately often have illegible labels because they're on the floor of the glovebox :( but in case we might be able to make out the RPO code for the transmission, that might shed more light.

It would be really uncommon to see a TH700R4 in an 8 lug 2500, that's why I brought up the possibility of it being a 6 lug. It's entirely possible one also got swapped in there over the lifespan of the truck. They're inarguably a light duty transmission and not up to the job you want to throw at it.

You can quickly identify the 700R4 by several features. The pan is pretty much square, has 16 bolts (so does the 700's younger brothers - 4L60/4L60E) - the 700 will have a TV (throttle valve) cable that is critical to line pressure and shift behavior, this cable attaches at the throttle crank on the side of your TBI and runs down to the passenger side of the case just above the pan, attaches with a single bolt. Driver side has a domed sheetmetal governor cover just ahead of the tailshaft housing. Some google image searches will help you identify whether that's really what you have in there.

Richard
Thank you for your help through all of this, as for me saying it's an 8 lug to start. I saddly was mistaken, it would appear I am an idiot and didn't realize from the distance I was at and angle I was at. I actually was counting the lugs on my roommates k3500... my 2500 is actually a 6 lug you were correct. As for the SPID I'd in the glove box like you said unreadable 90% has been ripped out. However everything you described the 700r4 to look like and to have. My trans does have. So I would assume it is the 700r4. So at this point I'm calling it, this will be a light duty tow rig for the luggage and supply trailer and I will be looking into getting a 1ton as soon as possible. I have a 34ft 5th wheel trailer on order I I have to pick up in about a week. The weight of it when I goto pick it up is suppose to be 7500lb. Will the 3/4 ton at least be able to get it home without having issue? Or should I use my roommates 1ton k3500 to go pick it up???? It's only once the trailer gets loaded with food and supply the estimated weight value goes up to around 11k. And again that's fully loaded fresh water, Grey water, and black water tanks. All equipment loaded, "No I'm not dumb I will not travel mire then need to with a full Grey water and black water tank the moment the trailer moves when their full it goes straight to the nearest rv dump site and their emptied. I'm not risking them blowing out on the high way. Then dealing with hazmate fees and other crap to clean my family's filth of peoples cars and road way. I've seen it happen and refuse to be that person.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 34ft 5th wheel trailer on order I I have to pick up in about a week. The weight of it when I goto pick it up is suppose to be 7500lb. Will the 3/4 ton at least be able to get it home without having issue? Or should I use my roommates 1ton k3500 to go pick it up????

You both have 5th-wheel hitches on your trucks?

Both trucks are wired appropriately, e.g., for electric trailer brakes?

How far is “home” in this scenario? I wouldn’t pull 7500# very far or very fast with your 2500 6-lug.

I would pick the 3500 if it has the right equipment.

Last edited:

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for your help through all of this, as for me saying it's an 8 lug to start. I saddly was mistaken, it would appear I am an idiot and didn't realize from the distance I was at and angle I was at. I actually was counting the lugs on my roommates k3500... my 2500 is actually a 6 lug you were correct. As for the SPID I'd in the glove box like you said unreadable 90% has been ripped out. However everything you described the 700r4 to look like and to have. My trans does have. So I would assume it is the 700r4. So at this point I'm calling it, this will be a light duty tow rig for the luggage and supply trailer and I will be looking into getting a 1ton as soon as possible. I have a 34ft 5th wheel trailer on order I I have to pick up in about a week. The weight of it when I goto pick it up is suppose to be 7500lb. Will the 3/4 ton at least be able to get it home without having issue? Or should I use my roommates 1ton k3500 to go pick it up???? It's only once the trailer gets loaded with food and supply the estimated weight value goes up to around 11k. And again that's fully loaded fresh water, Grey water, and black water tanks. All equipment loaded, "No I'm not dumb I will not travel mire then need to with a full Grey water and black water tank the moment the trailer moves when their full it goes straight to the nearest rv dump site and their emptied. I'm not risking them blowing out on the high way. Then dealing with hazmate fees and other crap to clean my family's filth of peoples cars and road way. I've seen it happen and refuse to be that person.
Honestly this whole thing is odd. From 84-90 it is very common to have a 700R4 in a 3/4 ton. It is not very common to see a 6 lug 2500, especially in 88. Pics would save A LOT of this back and forth. First half of the VIN would be super helpful also(without needing to worry about any privacy issues). Picture of the engine bay. Picture of the rear axle from the back showing the cover. Picture of the transmission pan. Done.

7500lbs is a lot of weight. You'll know it's back there for sure. If it's a nice flat road where you don't need to hit any highways.. you'll probably be ok. But it sounds like you aren't very experienced and you have no history in knowing what kind of condition the equipment is in... it's pretty sketchy.