Towing ratings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

How is it that a C1500 5.7L is listed as having a 4-speed auto trans, but a K1500 5.7L gets a 3-speed?

That's not how they tended to be equipped.

See how a 2500 is rated to tow less? Their tow ratings are BS. What year is that from? The GCWR on my 98 K1500 was 10,700. I see no reason it should be any less than what you have in front of you. In stock form though I will concede that 10,700# was a decent limit, north of that and the truck was wallowy and lacked confidence. Totally different story now with bigger springs and brakes. And more power.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
See how a 2500 is rated to tow less? Their tow ratings are BS. What year is that from? The GCWR on my 98 K1500 was 10,700. I see no reason it should be any less than what you have in front of you. In stock form though I will concede that 10,700# was a decent limit, north of that and the truck was wallowy and lacked confidence. Totally different story now with bigger springs and brakes. And more power.
I noticed it shows the C3500 with 5.7 and 4.10s at 13,500#. My truck was probably around 10,000# with us in it, the load and trailer, on our trip to Austin and back, in April. Truck would do 65 no problem, felt like it had more power available if needed. But you could definitely feel the weight, over and above the basic truck like we usually drive it. And we did kinda get shoved around the corner a couple times, when coming into a turn, a wee bit too fast.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed it shows the C3500 with 5.7 and 4.10s at 13,500#. My truck was probably around 10,000# with us in it, the load and trailer, on our trip to Austin and back, in April. Truck would do 65 no problem, felt like it had more power available if needed. But you could definitely feel the weight, over and above the basic truck like we usually drive it. And we did kinda get shoved around the corner a couple times, when coming into a turn, a wee bit too fast.

What rear tire pressures do you run? You may just need more air out back. From what I recall you just drag Uhaul trailers? Rawhide should be able to bully that thing around even in a corner.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What rear tire pressures do you run? You may just need more air out back. From what I recall you just drag Uhaul trailers? Rawhide should be able to bully that thing around even in a corner.
I run 45-50 in the front, and 75 in the rears. Rides harsh when empty (but Houston roads suck and it needs shocks). But rides great loaded, even a partial load.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 45-50 in the front, and 75 in the rears. Rides harsh when empty (but Houston roads suck and it needs shocks). But rides great loaded, even a partial load.
I finally noticed, not all that long ago, that mine has two door stickers with tire pressures. The other one is high up on the door where I wouldn’t expect it to be.

When towing I run 50 and 80, F/R, per the door sticker.

The other sticker says 40/50 for comfort when empty, or words to that effect.

Horus

Reaction score
I think that the GM brochures from that time period were pretty generous in their payload ratings. My truck, a 1995 GMC ECSB K1500, has a payload rating in the sales brochure of about 1700 lbs. In the glovebox, the cargo weight rating (CWR) is only about 750 lbs. Several years ago, i weighed by truck and with a full tank of gas and me in the truck, I am sure i tipped the scales at about 5800 lbs. So a payload of 1700 lbs would put me way over my GVWR of 6600 lbs. (I carried a travel lite truck camper on the truck for two years and the truck and camper hit about 7800 lbs on the scale, 1200 lbs over my GVWR.)
OP: what rear axle do you have? The 14 bolt semi-float or the 14 bolt Full float?
it's the semi float 14 in the rear based off of my option codes. I need to learn more about axels but my understanding, from what a friend told me is that my axel is still quite strong and I would be hard pressed to break it in normal use.

Maybe you could enlighten me as to the difference? Assume I know nothing.

Also for tire pressure I tend to run 35 in the front and 30 in the rear unloaded. Load Range D 315/70/17 tires. Loaded I go up depending on weight but most I've ever run is 40/50psi F/R.
Mind I live in an area where the highest speed limit is 90kph and my daily commute Is all 50kph backroads. So the fuel economy is what it is.
When I go offroading or it's snowy I go down to 30 in the front and 25 in the rear. I've dropped it as low as 18psi when I need the extra traction. Lower than that and I'd be worried about doing a bead.

Last edited:

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are thinking about getting a slide in you need to check the slide in camper spec sheet/weight rating for your truck. These were all "Camper rated" It's in the owners manual.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: