Can a Th700r4 be used for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scornedlotus

Reaction score
Hi all I'm aware the question in the subject line is vague not really sure how to phrase it.

But basically I'm here with a question in regards to using the th700r4 for towing, and a couple other questions possibly.

So a few weeks ago I ended up on the upper end of a deal that came my way I couldn't refuse. I have been looking for a decent tow rig and one was thrown in my lap... I assumed at least, but I'm being told the rig I got isn't reliable for the uses I got it for. Basically I ended up with a right hand drive subaru I didn't really care for. So I posted for sale or trade for a truck so I can tow like my with wheel camper I'm getting and toy/car hauler I have.

Right off the bat one of my buddy's seen the posting and told me to take the sh** down and never do that again without talking to him first he wanted the subi like no ones business, and just so happen to have a 3/4 ton 1988 chevy silverado 350 small block, th700r4 he was willing to trade with only 172k original everything with after market radio setup aswell inline with the stalk so you can with or if you want.

However two weeks in to the trade and my brother inlaw is saying the truck is meant to tow. But not the weight and purpose I want it for...
So for noting, the fithwheel trailer I'm getting is 11500 pounds "fully loaded, food, water, Grey water, black water, tvs, bedding, clothing, and etc.

The toy/car hauler I have is 5000 alone. Plus what your transporting
Is my new/old silverado okay hauling all of this????

P.s. before any load does get put on the truck it will being going in for full maintenance.... oil, trans fluid and filter, diff service, the whole nine yards that it needs will be cared for... the previous owner only used the truck as a parts hauler he was a mechanic and maintenanced the truck constantly and again only put 172k miles on it.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm aware the question in the subject line is vague not really sure how to phrase it.

But basically I'm here with a question in regards to using the th700r4 for towing, and a couple other questions possibly.

So a few weeks ago I ended up on the upper end of a deal that came my way I couldn't refuse. I have been looking for a decent tow rig and one was thrown in my lap... I assumed at least, but I'm being told the rig I got isn't reliable for the uses I got it for. Basically I ended up with a right hand drive subaru I didn't really care for. So I posted for sale or trade for a truck so I can tow like my with wheel camper I'm getting and toy/car hauler I have.

Right off the bat one of my buddy's seen the posting and told me to take the sh** down and never do that again without talking to him first he wanted the subi like no ones business, and just so happen to have a 3/4 ton 1988 chevy silverado 350 small block, th700r4 he was willing to trade with only 172k original everything with after market radio setup aswell inline with the stalk so you can with or if you want.

However two weeks in to the trade and my brother inlaw is saying the truck is meant to tow. But not the weight and purpose I want it for...
So for noting, the fithwheel trailer I'm getting is 11500 pounds "fully loaded, food, water, Grey water, black water, tvs, bedding, clothing, and etc.

P.s. before any load does get put on the truck it will being going in for full maintenance.... oil, trans fluid and filter, diff service, the whole nine yards that it needs will be cared for... the previous owner only used the truck as a parts hauler he was a mechanic and maintenanced the truck constantly and again only put 172k miles on it.
TLDR but answering your question per the thread title - yes, within certain limits. The more "beefed up" the transmission is for heavy duty, the heavier the loads you can tow, but there is a ceiling regardless of how much you want to spend.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say you've got a "3/4 ton" (which means 2500) with a 700R4 in it. Somehow that sounds like a bad combination. I would be interested to learn whether GM put that transmission in a 2500. Did someone retrofit the 700R4 into that 2500? I know they put them in some of those 1988 trucks (RPO MD8).

We've got a 1988 5.7L K3500 and it's got a TH400 3spd (RPO M40).

We've also got a 1998 L31 4L80E 8-lug K2500; the prior owner had installed a 5th wheel hitch but we removed it / never used it. I don't know what the prior owner pulled behind it.

Here's GM's recommendation, at least for the "E" electronic version of the 700R4/4L60, this picture from a 1995 K1500 w/ 5.7L 4L60E:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got 2500 with a 700R4 in it? Somehow that sounds like a bad combination.
Yeah, GM used the TH400 (3L80) on the older HD trucks until they came out with the 4L80E. Although I do know a guy with a 700R4 in a '90 454SS (with a 502 HO in it). So far no issues...YET. I'd think keeping it cool enough would go a long way towards reliability.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can build a 700R4 to tow/haul/work but is it going to be as cost effective or as durable/capable as a TH400 or 4L80E? Nope.

Also, no towing even remotely heavy in overdrive if running a 700R4 unless you install a billet 4th gear servo, wide 2-4 band, .500 boost valve, Sonnax tv plunger/sleeve, blocked 4th accumulator circuit, pump is blueprinted, yada yada...even then, you'll need to put it in D3 for more severe grades or prolonged stretches at even mild/moderate grades.

I'd think keeping it cool enough would go a long way towards reliability.
+1

Add in a huge aftermarket ext cooler w/electric fans, B&M aluminum deep pan (adds 3 quarts of capacity) and trans will benefit greatly.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

700R4 came in 3/4 and 1 tons with certain drivetrain combos. It could also be optionally selected on almost all powertrains. 88 only had the 700R4 for overdrive, 4L80 replaced the TH400 in 1991. 11,500 lbs is a whole lot of weight. You are going to need to be out of OD and probably out of lockup for almost the entire time you are pulling, so you will need a huge external cooler to keep it alive. I would start with keeping the in-radiator cooler and add a tru-cool 40k. Make sure you have a way to see the trans temp to make sure it isn't overheating. It's probably cheaper(and will be stronger) to upgrade that to a junkyard 4L80 than it is to have the 700R4 built to handle that kind of weight.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
700R4 came in 3/4 and 1 tons with certain drivetrain combos. It could also be optionally selected on almost all powertrains.

Thanks for clarifying. I looked through the 1988 FSM and wasn't able to find any definitive information on powertrain combos.

It's probably cheaper(and will be stronger) to upgrade that to a junkyard 4L80 than it is to have the 700R4 built to handle that kind of weight.

The 4L80(E) was an electronically controlled transmission from inception AFAIK, so a retrofit for his 700R4 would require a transmission controller or other appropriate means.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
700R4 came in 3/4 and 1 tons with certain drivetrain combos. It could also be optionally selected on almost all powertrains. 88 only had the 700R4 for overdrive, 4L80 replaced the TH400 in 1991. 11,500 lbs is a whole lot of weight. You are going to need to be out of OD and probably out of lockup for almost the entire time you are pulling, so you will need a huge external cooler to keep it alive. I would start with keeping the in-radiator cooler and add a tru-cool 40k. Make sure you have a way to see the trans temp to make sure it isn't overheating. It's probably cheaper(and will be stronger) to upgrade that to a junkyard 4L80 than it is to have the 700R4 built to handle that kind of weight.

You can stick a 4L80 in all day, doesn't change the fact that that 6 lug truck isn't set up to deal with 11000# or the wind drag associated with it being a 5er. I do about 9000# behind my comprehensively modified 1500 and it's a lot. Anymore I prefer to pull with the dually. Whenever I stick the Monte in there instead of the Camaro it (1500) is not happy and that's going to be the 10000# range. I can't imagine yet another 1000#, an even bigger aero signature, a lot less power, a weaker transmission, smaller leaf pack out back, and no hydroboost.