Tire PSI for hauling firewood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly something like this.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thousands of years ago, I had an '80 Honda Civic 1300.

Driving down "Main street", left lane. The guy in the right lane had just done a "brake job" on his 80s Impala/Caprice. Forgot to torque the lug-nuts. His LF tire came away from his car, hit my car in the RF fender. If he'd been a car-length ahead of me, that'd be my Honda in that video.

Woof. I didn't know how lucky I was.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling of being airborne in a car, it’s a bit unnerving. Kid I knew in High School had a 64 New Yorker 413 Max Wedge and we’d hit this spot on a back road and get airborne.

Bob2650

Reaction score
What about that 6 bolt rear axle? Are those C Clip axles?
A 2500 should have a full floater rear axle for that kind of weight.
Firewood is very difficult to estimate weight, could be way too much for the axle.
I used to heat with wood and hauled many an eye popping overload but never with a 6 bolt axle.
I would at least check the end play on those axles.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about that 6 bolt rear axle? Are those C Clip axles?
A 2500 should have a full floater rear axle for that kind of weight.
Firewood is very difficult to estimate weight, could be way too much for the axle.
I used to heat with wood and hauled many an eye popping overload but never with a 6 bolt axle.
I would at least check the end play on those axles.
Some 2500’s have a 6 lug 9.5 semi float.

Mikes98

Reaction score
Tire pressures: another Pandora's Box akin to asking about motor oil.

It's simple: on the sidewall of every tire is it's maximum load carrying capacity and the inflation pressure you need to meet that capacity ...which just so happens to be a tire's maximum inflation pressure (cold). You got the truck loaded for bear with whatever? Pump those tires to the max, front and rear.

I didn't read every single response to this ...so I didn't (thankfully) find anyone yakking about the door decal and how some 30+ year old passenger car tires, which came stock on many of these trucks, should somehow have any bearing on modern light truck tires when it comes to inflation pressures. A tire is not overinflated unless you exceed the sidewall limitation on the tire; not the door decal pressures.

Just be careful hauling the the logs. ANTICIPATE every slow down and stop.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't read every single response to this ...so I didn't (thankfully) find anyone yakking about the door decal and how some 30+ year old passenger car tires, which came stock on many of these trucks, should somehow have any bearing on modern light truck tires when it comes to inflation pressures. A tire is not overinflated unless you exceed the sidewall limitation on the tire; not the door decal pressures.
Tell that to someone with a Corvair.