Tire PSI for hauling firewood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMHO the door sticker only applies to the original uniroyals that came on the truck. Tire tech has came along way in 30 years. Usually cheaper made. I run the max printied on the tires sidewall. Different manufacturers have different pressures on the sidewall. So recommendations for this or that my not apply to the tires you have.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put enough air pressure in the tire, and hit a big enough bump...and blow the bead-holding side of the wheel into outer space.
Blowing a rim is no joke. The worst picture I've ever seen was in a safety briefing. A crewchief had attempted to air up the nose tire on his plane without a gauge. He overpressurized it and blew the rim. It ripped him from crotch to neck and threw his body twenty feet away. F*ing horrible.

Now imagine you're driving down the road with an overinflated rim facing pedestrians.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blowing a rim is no joke. The worst picture I've ever seen was in a safety briefing. A crewchief had attempted to air up the nose tire on his plane without a gauge. He overpressurized it and blew the rim. It ripped him from crotch to neck and threw his body twenty feet away. F*ing horrible.

Now imagine you're driving down the road with an overinflated rim facing pedestrians.
Possibly something like this.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your lug nuts and make sure your brakes are 8n perfect working order.

If your sidewalls are bulged with your load you need more air. If you reach the max psi getting them to stand up then you need less load.

The most overloaded I ever had a truck was my gmt800 half ton with the 4.3 v6. I had over 2 yards of demolished concrete in the bed. That is between 5,500 and 7500 lbs. The bump stops were smooshed completely flat and the truck was riding straight on the axle. Had to drive about 30 miles like that.

If you have your wits about you, you should be able to handle 2500 no problem as long as your truck is in good shape.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the group with @Sean Buick 76 inflate them till they wear appropriately, don't exceed the max pressure for wheel/tire combo, and don't overload them.

OTOH, I've drastically overloaded my old k1500 with a concrete driveway we tore out and replaced working for my dad in high school. Definitely needed close to the max pressure in the tires then and promptly backed them down after unloading to keep my teeth in my head.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

The version I remember there were only boots left on the ground. The rest of him ceased to exist.

@Schurkey's post reminded me of this meme.

You must be registered for see images attach