Tire PSI for hauling firewood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're only going to be hauling this load for a short time and I'm guessing in cool temperatures. 2500lbs is a pretty good load so air the rears up to max and add ten to the fronts. Airing up the rears will help to reduce rolling resistance and you will be adding a little more load to the fronts. Once you get the truck unloaded let the air out to what you were running before.

Pickup trucks are almost always light in the rear so normal rule of thumb is to run the rears with less air than the fronts. Only way to know how much air to run is by tire wear. If they wear the middle more than the outer edges then you have too much air in the tire,if outer edges wear first then not enough. A tread depth gauge is a handy tool to have for determining what air pressure you need to run. Measure outside and center of your tread depth when the tires are new,write it down then measure in 500 mile increments and adjust air accordingly.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
50 front, 80 rear is what an 8-lug Express van calls for loaded or towing. Find it works well for me. 50 psi front/rear unloaded.
Your vans are heavier in the rear than PU's. 42-46 would be closer for rear pressure for a truck in the unloaded state with those tires. My tires are rated for 50lbs max pressure at 2250 max load. I run 44 in the fronts and 36 in the rears and so far the wear looks pretty even and I have good grip in the rear.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suburbans are different than p/u's

Correct. However, a 3/4 ton truck and a 3/4 ton Suburban both specifiy different pressures front/rear.

Well, just for fun, I searched a bit and found this:

It would seem that the P/U and Suburban are, as Keeper said, different! I blithely assumed that the f/r tire pressures would be comparable for both vehicle types because they were both K2500 vehicles; but no, they’re not.

According to the chart on that site, the P/U runs the same PSI front and rear. Quite different from the Suburban.

I was wrong on this, and need to correct it so as not to spread misinformation.

Sorry about that, @Komet and @Keeper. Sometimes I’m a bonehead. :rolleyes: This is one of those times.