Threw a Rod. How can this happen in 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything after 1970 is going to be low compression and questionable head flow. A stock 74 454 truck engine was rated for 240hp/355ft-lbs. A 99 Vortec 350 was rated at 255hp/330 ft-lbs. A 99 Vortec 454 was rated at 290hp/410 ft-lbs.

Holdener has a few videos with the GEN VI 454, and with just a cam, you can get to 400hp/500ft-lbs pretty quick. The Gen VII 8.1L is still a beast though. Beats out the 454 in everything. Low end torque and high end horsepower is better across the board. The only downside is that there is basically no aftermarket for it unless you want to spend big bucks with Raylar.

A small aftermarket has not stopped LT from turboing his and running impressive times.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cam fits. Gotta re-wire the injectors and coils to change the firing order, though.

I gotta fire up the laptop and see what cheat codes await me. I think I can assign injectors to banks, but don't recall the ability to redefine firing order. Worst case it's a repin at the PCM, no cutting or soldering required.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gotta fire up the laptop and see what cheat codes await me. I think I can assign injectors to banks, but don't recall the ability to redefine firing order. Worst case it's a repin at the PCM, no cutting or soldering required.
I re-pinned mine and changed the diagnostic firing order. The firing order shown in the PCM tuning is for diagnostic cylinder identification only. Had to do the same when I ran a 24x 350.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A small aftermarket has not stopped LT from turboing his and running impressive times.
Yeah, I had a buddy with one in his 73 Nova with twin turbo's on it. You can do anything if you want it bad enough, but that doesn't mean it is cheap or easy. That isn't going to stop people with the ability to do custom work themselves, but it does limit the people who need to buy all their own parts. The intake manifold pattern and the head bolt pattern are specific to the Gen VII, so you are stuck with buying high dollar limited production heads or intake manifolds from someone or making them yourself.

My buddy got tired of fighting his and just bought an LT4/8L80 connect and cruise kit to go in the Nova instead. He had a blast with the big block for about a decade, but finally decided he wanted the low maintenance and drivability of the LS... he says he loves it and wishes he had done it sooner, but you can break a lot of 8.1L for what he paid for that LT4 kit.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a buddy with one in his 73 Nova with twin turbo's on it. You can do anything if you want it bad enough, but that doesn't mean it is cheap or easy. That isn't going to stop people with the ability to do custom work themselves, but it does limit the people who need to buy all their own parts. The intake manifold pattern and the head bolt pattern are specific to the Gen VII, so you are stuck with buying high dollar limited production heads or intake manifolds from someone or making them yourself.

My buddy got tired of fighting his and just bought an LT4/8L80 connect and cruise kit to go in the Nova instead. He had a blast with the big block for about a decade, but finally decided he wanted the low maintenance and drivability of the LS... he says he loves it and wishes he had done it sooner, but you can break a lot of 8.1L for what he paid for that LT4 kit.
I agree! It also does not hurt, that here you can get lower mileage pullout 8.1Ls for similar prices to a 4.8L/5.3L. The 6.0L and 6.2L bring top dollar because everyone wants them. I have bought two 8.1s with less than 100K on them for under $1,000 each and both had the GMT400 or Van accessory drive setup with the high mount compressor.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I agree! It also does not hurt, that here you can get lower mileage pullout 8.1Ls for similar prices to a 4.8L/5.3L. The 6.0L and 6.2L bring top dollar because everyone wants them. I have bought two 8.1s with less than 100K on them for under $1,000 each and both had the GMT400 or Van accessory drive setup with the high mount compressor.

The ****?! You need to be closer. I'd buy one in a heartbeat that cheap.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt you were as hard on it as you seem to think you were. I drive around foot to the floor all the time fully loaded, but I also don't overheat the truck. They just don't get hot no matter what. As for me? I still think $4500 is cheaper than a new truck.

I spent over twice that on my new engine and it's worth it. You can't get a 2dr SUV anymore, and the one I really like are even harder to find than the blazer. That's the exact mindset I had too, it's still cheaper than buying something new.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent over twice that on my new engine and it's worth it. You can't get a 2dr SUV anymore, and the one I really like are even harder to find than the blazer. That's the exact mindset I had too, it's still cheaper than buying something new.
Same reason I rebuilt the van with the 383. To match it I would have to get a newer 6.6L gas van and the conversion package. It would be 80-100K or more. The 6.0L vans do not come close to the power I have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit