You gotta see this....383 timing chain cover....hole!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wardi

Reaction score
So, after 115K VERY HARD miles on a 2000 Z71 Tahoe I bought new and have done all the maintenance on, in 2011 I decided to bite the bullet and put a new engine in it. I drove the new "trucks," did a bunch of research, but decided to get a GM Performance Products HT383E. Not cheap, but I had a local dealership I liked enough to have them do the work, met the Tech - liked him - so went for it. Also, I wanted the 3yr warranty. Anyway, since I'm in California, and this is my daily driver, I didn't modify it much more, as I needed it to smog (every 2 years here) and actually really haven't pushed it much anyway (less towing). And the house I'm in now, I just can't pull an engine out of a Tahoe.....just can't.

Sooooooo, about 3-4 months ago it starts to leak oil out the front of the engine, from around the from crankshaft seal (behind the balancer). It got pretty bad, almost a quart a tank full, but I watched the dip stick and oil pressure gauge while diving. So finally I get fed up, clean the engine off with Gunk and water, let it dry, crank it up, climb under there and watch for the oil. Sure enough, it's coming from ABOVE the crank shaft. Since I'm an old guy now (54), it was really hard getting a good look up there without taking the water pump off, but it just didn't seem to be coming from around the crank seal or the timing sensor, it was coming from above all that. I googled the crap out of this, which is one of the ways I found this great board, and actually found some pics and discussions about the camshaft gear bolts coming loose and working themselves out and digging a hole in the plastic cover. If all three work themselves out.....that would be bad....real bad.

So I take it in to the dealer I know and have them look at it. They keep it a bit and then get to it and tell me it's the seal.....Riiiiiight.......I'll be right over. So I'm over there, and the Service guy is pretty good so he lets me in back. I see the balancer off, and the seal looks good to me, and I run my fingers under the water pump - and I can feel the camshaft bolts right through the plastic cover!!! I couldn't believe it....and the tech was like "Whoa!?" I come back the next day and here's what we find:

You must be registered for see images attach

So 2 of the bolts had worked themselves out, one was completely gone, the other was about to go, and the third was hanging in there!! If you look close, you can see were the one bolt hole looks OK, but the other 2 have thread marks. Good news is the camshaft threads were/are OK, so with a little locktight and a http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1792/overview/year/1999/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe it's together and fixed.....under warranty.....JUST!

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
So, after 115K VERY HARD miles on a 2000 Z71 Tahoe I bought new and have done all the maintenance on, in 2011 I decided to bite the bullet and put a new engine in it. I drove the new "trucks," did a bunch of research, but decided to get a GM Performance Products HT383E. Not cheap, but I had a local dealership I liked enough to have them do the work, met the Tech - liked him - so went for it. Also, I wanted the 3yr warranty. Anyway, since I'm in California, and this is my daily driver, I didn't modify it much more, as I needed it to smog (every 2 years here) and actually really haven't pushed it much anyway (less towing). And the house I'm in now, I just can't pull an engine out of a Tahoe.....just can't.

Sooooooo, about 3-4 months ago it starts to leak oil out the front of the engine, from around the from crankshaft seal (behind the balancer). I got pretty bad, almost a quart a tank full, but I watched the dip stick and oil pressure gauge while diving. So finally I get fed up, clean the engine off with Gunk and water, let it dry, crank it up, climb under there and watch for the oil. Sure enough, it's coming from ABOVE the crank shaft. Since I'm an old guy now (54), it was really hard getting a good look up there without taking the water pump off, but it just didn't seem to be coming from around the crank seal or the timing sensor, it was coming from above all that. I googled the crap out of this, which is one of the ways I found this great board, and actually found some pics and discussions about the camshaft gear bolts coming loose and working themselves out and digging a hole in the plastic cover. If all three work themselves out.....that would be bad....real bad.

So I take it in to the dealer I know and have them look at it. They keep it a bit and then get to it and tell me it's the seal.....Riiiiiight.......I'll be right over. So I'm over there, and the Service guy is pretty good so he lets me in back. I see the balancer off, and the seal looks good to me, and I run my fingers under the water pump - and I can feel the camshaft bolts right through the plastic cover!!! I couldn't believe it....and the tech was like "Whoa!?" I come back the next day and here's what we find:

So 2 of the bolts had worked themselves out, one was completely gone, the other was about to go, and the third was hanging in there!! If you look close, you can see were the one bolt hole looks OK, but the other 2 have thread marks. Good news is the camshaft threads were/are OK, so with a little locktight and a http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1792/overview/year/1999/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe it's together and fixed.....under warranty.....JUST!
Thanks for the post man! That's good to know

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I heard that folks were having problems with the HT383E, but I didn't research it any further to find out what it was.
Now I know.
That's pretty lame on GM's part. Any good engine builder knows to locktight certain bolts. The camshaft gear bolts are one of them.

I thought about using the HT383E when my engine finally grenades. I think I'll just rebuilt the long block myself.

Wardi

Reaction score
Yea - I was 2 weeks and one small bolt away from "complete engine termination." That would not have been a cheap fix. While the original $10K in 2011 for the 383 hurt some, the $216 yesterday, with an A/C service and charge (first in 14 years I think), was not so bad. I guess living and driving in SoCal no water ever got in there. And I did notice a little performance funk, as the engine probably could not develop any crank case vacuum, which the computer probably didn't get/understand. Looked it over today. Pretty good work. Gonna drive it a bit today and see. Felt a little better just on the way home. Overall.....that was CLOSE!!

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Yea - I was 2 weeks and one small bolt away from "complete engine termination." That would not have been a cheap fix. While the original $10K in 2011 for the 383 hurt some, the $216 yesterday, with an A/C service and charge (first in 14 years I think), was not so bad. I guess living and driving in SoCal no water ever got in there. And I did notice a little performance funk, as the engine probably could not develop any crank case vacuum, which the computer probably didn't get/understand. Looked it over today. Pretty good work. Gonna drive it a bit today and see. Felt a little better just on the way home. Overall.....that was CLOSE!!

you paid $10k for the motor???