WIRING TPI FROM SCRATCH??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously considering putting a 1987 Corvette TPI engine in my 1994 GMC 4wd pickup. I think it will make a great setup, and it's time, as the original engine has 300,000 miles.

I will use the computer from the Corvette, and since I just will not pay Painless their inflated prices for a wiring harness, I will wire it up myself. I am good with electrical and wiring, but have never wired up a computer system from scratch before.

How tough will it be??

Thanks for any help!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst part of making a harness will be coming up with all the connector bodies.

If this were me, I'd want the original wire harness from the 'Vette, and then shorten/lengthen individual wires as needed.

But, yes, make sure the computer is compatible with your vehicle.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a TPI swap these days I'd not use the factory ecm(orig ones the boards can crack and then have issue when hot, ask me how I know) and the old brittle harness(C4 Corvettes get hot under the fiberglass hood). FAST has a retro EFI kit or Holley has a TPI kit, both are harness, ecm and some sensors I think. Both are self learn but programmable somewhat, think the holley is more. I've done a bit of research because if you mod Anything(efi or carb) you should tune and swapping into a different vehicle is a mod technically.

I want one of those setups for my 1986 C4 corvette with TPI and if I didn't already have TPI stuff from my 1985 TA(Like a reman ecm when I upgraded from the one year 85 to the 86-up ecm and then used it to replace the cracked C4 one), that I used on it I'd prob go with a different efi setup. Still the cost of those systems you might wanna consider something else depending on your purpose. Fitech has some nice compete kits.

The biggest downfall to TPI is the 180 turn from plenum into the lower intake, at high rpm the velocity of the air is high enough it can't turn and the air gets in its own way. I've watched two porters figure this out for themselves before ditching the intake and going another route, one was a good pro. Everyone says long runner blah blah blah, nope it's the 180 turn. Look at any of the aftermarket intakes that competed with TPI like the superram, expanded the plenum and shortened runners into 90 deg turn.

I like the TPI but I mod to compliment it, not try and make it do what it can't.

If you choose to wire it up yourself check out Speedway Motors, they may have a kit that'll save you some. GL thirdgen.org and corvetteforum.com C4 section will be helpfull with lots of TPI info.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd wire it myself in a heartbeat. But TPI is all midrange. Low end and top end are better with a different intake.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys. Judging from the performance of the 350 TPI in the Vette, I think it will do fine for me in the truck, for what I want to do with it. I know it's limitations, and think I will be happy with it's nice torque output and good gas mileage.

Then the Vette is going to get a hot 454 I built with FI Tech injection. Oh yeah!!

Vettepilot

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your '94 TBI PCM will run 8 injectors in batch fire mode. minimal changes to your current wiring harness will be needed. splice tpi injector wires to tbi injector wires, lengthen IAC and TPS wires off the top of my head. have never done the conversion myself but have all the stuff to do a buddies '92 GMC maybe next year.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand, doing it that way would require some changes to the TBI computer, plus re-programming which I just do not have the time and interest to get into.

Now if I could fnd out how to use the truck wiring harness with modifications, and then plug in the Vette computer--> THAT would greatly interest me!

Vettepilot

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, same as the TPI ecm does.

You will need to keep your truck harness if you have an E-trans and piggy back your current PCM with the TPI ECM to run it.