Wiper Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I am having some issues with my 1994 1500, after i swapped in a new crate motor my wipers are no longer working. (I am not sure if it is related or not). So any time i try to use any functions of my wipers, i hear a faint buzzing up near my windshield that lasts for about 10 seconds, and nothing happens. I replaced my pulse board, as this seems to be a common issue. But it did not help. Does anyone have any ideas on what i can look at?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Mae sure the wiper transmission didn't seize up. The pivots get dry and rusty and the motor doesn't have the power to move them. Common if the truck sat for a while.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay so i picked up a new wiper motor, when i plugged it in and tried the wipers it did nothing. I checked my voltage at the motor. With the key turned to accessory i have 12v between white and orange wires, and 7.7 between the white and black. these stayed constant regardless of where the wiper dial was, completely off or to the fastest speed. I am also not getting any spray of my windshield washer fluid. Could this be the actual wiper/ turn signal stalk?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely gonna end up being ground problems under the hood. Check all ground connections including small wire from negative battery terminal to fender, firewall to frame on passenger side, firewall to rear of passenger side cylinder head, yada yada.

The symptom you described in the original post is typically bad ground to the motor, and is most often just cracked solder joints on the wiper motor circuit board. Since you ruled that out by replacing it then you look for ground issues elsewhere.

The motors almost never, ever go bad and the linkages don't really have anything that can seize up. 99% of wiper problems on GMT400 trucks = bad grounds, almost always due to cracked solder joints on the circuit board, or sometimes bad connections elsewhere.

Richard

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay thanks! i will take a look at the grounds!

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so i finally got around to going through my grounds and replaced the braided grounds from the cylinder head to firewall, and firewall to frame. The rest of the grounds were good.

So after i did that, i tried the wipers. They worked once. I went to try them again and it was just a loud buzzing noise and almost made the truck stall.

So should i add some additional grounds in? what is the best option here. I now know that the wipers do work, its just a grounding issue i guess

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Okay so i finally got around to going through my grounds and replaced the braided grounds from the cylinder head to firewall, and firewall to frame. The rest of the grounds were good.

So after i did that, i tried the wipers. They worked once. I went to try them again and it was just a loud buzzing noise and almost made the truck stall.

So should i add some additional grounds in? what is the best option here. I now know that the wipers do work, its just a grounding issue i guess
like twomanymontes said you should take the wiper cowl of and observe what's going on. Spray them with some lube and try having someone turn the wipers on and you give them a helping hand and see if it helps. I just replaced my wiper motor and lubed it up, if the wipers sit high on the windshield you can adjust that while you are in there.

Reaction score
Figure out where the ground is? Im having the EXACT same issue with my wipers. Few other problems ive noticed were my brake lights dont work with my ignition on but will work with the ignition off. Also when i turn the key off and press the brake pedal my HVAC heater control unit lights up..

Ive also just recently LS swapped mine with a 5.3/4l60E.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay it was grounds all along, i did some further digging and the stud where the cylinder head ground and the frame ground meet had become loose from the firewall, and making a poor ground at times. i wiggled it and had no issues with the wipers. So i found a new spot on the fire wall and scraped the paint and put a bolt in. I also had issues with my brake lights when i was having the wiper issues. Now its all working correctly.