Windshield replacement woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, whats the final take on the OER windshields on the 88-92's? How's the fit? Ok? Decent? Poor? does a guy need to buy the side seals ...or do they come with it?

Now I kick myself I didn't order a windshield a few yrs ago ...like I was thinking!

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PPG or LOF glass is going to be a better glass. If guys want better glass you're looking for NAGS cert. and be prepared to pay for it. Lots of lesser quality stuff out there,

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading this thread a couple months ago and thinking "I need a new windshield,am I gonna get screwed?" I searched and called around and Safelite was the best deal around here. I placed the order online and in the note to installer box "I wrote DO NOT! install any leaks". The guy they sent was a true professional and did a great job. Yeah,it's cheap chinese glass but it was put in right. The OP posted a pic of the big gap at the top which was caused by the weight of the windshield pulling it down before the sealer set. What my installer did was stack up popsickle sicks on top of the wiper stems to hold the windshield up till the sealer set. Since then we have had a couple frog strangler rain storms and nary a drop of water inside the truck.
What's funny is there is a Safelite guy that lives right around the corner from my house but they sent a guy from 70 miles away to replace mine. Maybe the guy around the corner doesn't get good reviews.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PPG sold off their glass business in 2016 to Vitro, who owns Crinamex glass. That happens to be what's currently in my 89. But it sounds like the pre-93 glass has been discontinued.

I was mostly wondering about how good the OER glass (or other glass) and the new non-original side seals work, for pre '93 trucks?

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked at a bunch of OBS GM windshields (new and old style) at a car show yesterday. They had a pickup section with several trucks. Looks like the new-style windshield with the side seals is probably the superior system when installed properly. The side seals create a positive seal to the upper door frame than the older style windshield, which *should* cut down wind turbulence (noise) in the A-pillar area and ...therefore, in theory, a quieter ride. So I'll probably not fight the new style, not that I have a choice! LOL.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE: Urgent!!

LMC is still selling the first design glass... I have one sitting in my bedroom right now waiting for the spring. They sell out fast, but they are still selling the pre 93 glass. If it's out of stock, just keep checking.

"So, whats the final take on the OER windshields on the 88-92's? How's the fit? Ok? Decent? Poor? does a guy need to buy the side seals ...or do they come with it?

Now I kick myself I didn't order a windshield a few yrs ago ...like I was thinking!"

The OER glass is good glass, and fits well. It comes with the side seals. It's second design glass, which has the replaceable side rubber.

Here is the main thing between first design and second: First design side rubber is molded to the shape of the door frame (and can't be replaced). When you close the door, the glass edge (rubber end) tucks perfect, and you get an ultra clean look.
Second design rubber ends are not molded to the door shape, and when you close the door, the tube design of the rubber bulges out of the door frame. They have been known to whistle while driving (I didn't have that problem). You can replace them, However, I've NEVER had the first design glass ends break, or wear out. Like anything rubber, proper maintenance (cleaning and conditioning the rubber ends with favorite rubber products) will let it last allot longer then the road debris will.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting mine replaced today and I was concerned about the install horror stories I've seen, like the OP had. My installer sent me this before actually installing it to confirm. It probably helps that he has and beautiful OBS step side himself.
You must be registered for see images attach

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a good example of the second design seal bulge (right at the lip of the door. The flat black/not shiney rubber is the end seal). First design, the black rubber sides are modeled to the doors, and you don't have that gap at the conjunction of the roof/door/top of windshield.

That little gap at the top is probably why some of them whistle. The end seal is a hollow rubber tube. Maybe a dab of black RTV in the end to block the hole might cure that.

I personally despise the second design, and was elated to be able to get first design again.

Last edited:

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
I recently had my windshield replaced by Safelite (insurance claim) and definitely not pleased with the result. I have a 1991 Silverado and the windshield now has quite a gap at the top of the windshield and the side seals look "wrong". It looks like really shabby work and I even question if it's the right windshield. The manager keeps telling me that it's how the aftermarket windshields fits these trucks. He wants me to bring it back to place a bead of sealant and smooth it out. Is he correct? Or is he just full of :poop: ?

I would not accept that.