Windshield replacement woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds like a lazy technician.

I didn't know there was any difference between the early and later windshield mounting methods. I just called up OKC Auto Glass and they handled it without any issue.
No, that is a good technician. There cannot be any corrosion in the pinchweld area. They are glass installers and do not do the body work to repair rust.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn this is not good to hear since I’ve needed mine replaced for the past 11yrs now!! Lol but I just keep holding off because of this happening or dealing with them coming out time after time without the right glass! I want factory glass back in it and don’t mind paying a lil extra for the real thing! If they’re available? But I’d definitely get that handled before you end up getting water in places it shouldn’t be let alone the noise factor!!
First design glass is no longer available. However as I posted earlier, the CT8892T glass (cheap at Summit) may be both the first design, and the second design. I'm having this glass installed on the 24th. The glass is manufactured by OER manufacturing. I'll post pics when installed.

Edit: I should add that the side edge rubber is only a drip rail. The door seal keeps water out of the cab, not the windshield side rails (with the exception of the glue it's installed with of course). Another thing is to make sure your installer is NOT using butyl based glue. It MUST be a Urethane glue. Been there, done that.

Last edited:

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Good to know you’d think that these bigger windshield replacement companies would have a guide for the installers before they do the job to ensure stuffs right but I guess most people just assume they are doin a good job not that you have to huver over the people birddog them to be getting what you/insurance co. Paid for!! Just like marky mark said in the departed after guy asks him who’s you? “I’m the guy who does his job you must be the other guy!!!” But best believe I’ll be a helicopter when mine gets done an that’s after I inspect the glass beforehand and tell person to dry fit glass first because I’m not having y’all chuck up my ride because your truly not qualified!!!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
2x! My Burb is my baby and I'm picky about who else gets their mitts on him. I'd rather they be too conservative as far as not wanting to work on it, than have them get it apart and then can't get it back together properly (and then I got no truck and no ride.... have y'all priced rental cars lately? Over $500 for a Versa for a week!)

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I'm happy to report that the CT8892T glass at Summit (Classic industries also carries it, but their shipping cost are ridiculous), is a pretty good replacement. It is second design, but it did fit nice... no issues.
Remember to find a real glass shop.. Safelite type places are "No experience necessary!" shops. Find an indy shop. I've used my glass shop for about 10 years now, and they know WTF they are doing. They only wanted 50 bucks
for the install, which I refused, and gave 'em 100:

Glass cut out:
You must be registered for see images attach

Fist Design Glass:

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
So I just called a glass shop yesterday and they quoted me $279 they mobile also but if close I may just rather go to shop and see the glass beforehand or chat that I’m not looking for cheapness I want quality and as close as possible to factory as I can get! I might call another place today as when I’m waiting for kids to get out of school. An if anyone has just had it done and it’s the way it’s supposed to be what glass was used and did it come with all bits necessary to make replacement correct? Thanks I know it’s a long posting lol

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Oh I forgot here’s the gm part number I got from dealer on actual part number for windshield is 15762635 but as almost all 400 parts is discontinued ☹️