Windshield replacement woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
I had mine replaced about six months ago. Here's a picture of the gap on top. It's a little more than a nickel's width. Your installer needs to redo it, and I'd hold Safelite's feet to the fire. If they have to wrestle with him to redo it, he likely won't get any more work from them.

You must be registered for see images attach
Erik, I am going to have my original windshield replaced, since it leaks and is badly scratched from a previous owner using wipers that went to bare metal.

My roof is rusty like yours, and I'm concerned the channel where the windshield goes will be rusty also. Was that true with your truck?

Years back, I had an old Volvo, and had the auto glass installer make two trips. First trip was removal only, and I did find a somewhat rusty channel, which I sanded, rust treated and painted. Once the bodywork was done, I called them back to install the new windshield on a clean channel.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Getting mine replaced today and I was concerned about the install horror stories I've seen, like the OP had. My installer sent me this before actually installing it to confirm. It probably helps that he has and beautiful OBS step side himself.
Wow, the paint on the upper door has a nice shine to it. Nice color, too. Is that paint original?

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, the paint on the upper door has a nice shine to it. Nice color, too. Is that paint original?
Not at all. It was originally a brighter red and at some point was repainted (cheaply) to the metallic red you see. Over the last month I've been putting on Poppy's patina wipe on clear and sanding then buffing it smooth.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My roof is rusty like yours, and I'm concerned the channel where the windshield goes will be rusty also. Was that true with your truck?
I'm in Oklahoma, so surface rust is pretty normal and usually not an problem. WCJr's windshield went in with no issues. Roscoe had the rear window out for years, and the headliner trapped moisture up against the window frame. I had to cut a patch panel out of a buddy's parts truck to rehab the window frame. The window fit nicely. It's not pretty, but it was my first time doing major bodywork, so I'm just glad it went together.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
..snip...

..snip..

Mine was at the top lip, but it was just surface rust. I imagine the salt belt states could be bad. That was all fixed when my truck was repainted, but now I'm aware water can get trapped in there... and I blow it out after a wash.