Winches for ‘98 k2500 4x4 hauling 2k lb camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
Who has experience with choosing a winch and mounting it on a GMT400? I’m looking for the best mounting equipment and location. I have a Ranch Hand grill guard. Has anyone had experience with the Badlands winch? I see where I can buy one from HF for $300. Buying a $600 winch is not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your ranchhand a full replacement or grille only? If it full replacement buy the 2” receiver from ranchand & set your winch in that. Thats how my setup was. I ran power front & rear bumpers. Jumper cables or winch power

SuperTramp

Reaction score
Is your ranchhand a full replacement or grille only? If it full replacement buy the 2” receiver from ranchand & set your winch in that. Thats how my setup was. I ran power front & rear bumpers. Jumper cables or winch power
It is only the grill guard.

SuperTramp

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased or used the larger Badlands winches from Harbour Freight? I see where they have a 12,000 lb winch for $300.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My race team has either the 9k or 12k Badlands winch on our trailer. We have it on a removable receiver so it can be locked away when not in use. It's hauled many a dead racecar onto the trailer. The Jaguar is somewhere between 3500 and 4000 lbs and it had no trouble. Just make sure your exhaust clears the back edge of the trailer or it'll try to remove it.