Will I need a ball joint press???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Changing the TRE's is simple. Most of the time it jsut takes a little wack with a hammer to remove them from the center link and knuckle. Keep the old ones together and assemble the new ones to the same length and that will get it close. Will still need an allignment afterwards.

Yeah I kinda wish I would have done them while I had everything off but I was renting a bay at a shop and didnt have the time or money. Itll get done here soon hopefully. The truck still drives amazing but I just wanna go ahead and replace it all now. Thanks.

Doc Chevy 34

Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack put i am putting the RCX 6 inch kit on my 97 1500, and I bought new TRE's, upper and lower balljoints, bushing, etc. I just can't decide if I should replace it all now or later... I have no idea the last time any of these things were replaced. I guess my other option is that I am gonna put on new shocks in about a month and I could just do it then? I've 2 full days to get everything done so I should have plenty of time. Does it really take 4 hours to get the lowers out?

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I'd change it all now personally. You'll already have the control arms off and you can put them in a vice and not be a hassle on the truck.

On a side note, I don't see how y'all take 4 hours on one ball joint....... I use an air chisel, a grinder a flat head, and a pry bar. Took about 15-20 mins per ball joint.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack put i am putting the RCX 6 inch kit on my 97 1500, and I bought new TRE's, upper and lower balljoints, bushing, etc. I just can't decide if I should replace it all now or later... I have no idea the last time any of these things were replaced. I guess my other option is that I am gonna put on new shocks in about a month and I could just do it then? I've 2 full days to get everything done so I should have plenty of time. Does it really take 4 hours to get the lowers out?

It will be much easier to do the balljoints and TRE's when installing the lift, since then you will haveeverything apart. I would also replace the pitman and idler arms while doing the lift and only need one allignment. On your 97 the lowers should be pressed in so no rivets to grind and drill, the uppers will be riveted if never been changed.