Will I need a ball joint press???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its rivited in I dont think you will, but it wont hurt to have it there just in case.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Oh well. Its better to have it and not need than need it and not have it. Especially since we'll be doing a lot of work after the stores are closed.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Oh well. Its better to have it and not need than need it and not have it. Especially since we'll be doing a lot of work after the stores are closed.

After replacing the head on my buddies jeep, this is now a rule I live by! Also I'm expecting lots of pictures when you're all finished up with the lift!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no need in a press when they are riveted or bolted, always look first. To me it's just a hassle to pay over a hundred for the tool, not need it then return it. I do agree though it's always better to have and not need then to need and not have but still it's a hassle and waste of time and gas if you have riveted or bolted in ball joints.

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK I've been reading through threads for an hour about doing my balljoints and it seems pretty simple other that the actual removal. I have an air grinder and a full bag of four letter words already. Seems like many people recommend grinding the heads off the rivets and using a hammer and punch to drive them out. Is that what you did or did you discover any tips that may make it easier? Since I'm doing upper, lower, and tie rods, is it easier to unbolt the everything from the knuckle and just remove it from the truck? Thanks I'm trying to gather as much info as possible cause I have to do this at a buddys house and I need to make sure I can get it done in one day.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
an air chisel helps quicker than a punch and hammer on the rivets,if the lowers are pressed in you need a ball joint press,and yes remove everything from the knuckle also make sure you have a 36mm socket for the axle nut