why does my 88 run bad cold then run fine warm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I know I asked plenty of questions many times on this thing but it's been good for awhile, found out that the miss I had before or the popping on idle was actually the valves one being too tight, sucking your hand to the tailpipe or muffler, and I adjusted the valves, I backed em off til they started clacking then snugged em up til they stopped and went 1/4 turn only past that.

Well truck runs and everything good, everything is new, I mean motor wise, internally, new cam lifters(flat tappet) new dist., new cap, new rotor, new coil, new wires, new plugs, all are only like a year old if that, hardly any miles.

Sitting in the yard running it's fine no missing running at idle or revving, but when you put it in gear and start driving forward, when it's cold it kinda misses and acts like maybe it's not getting or taking fuel.

I check the psi last summer or psring I think it was, it has 12.5 or 13.5 I forget which. That was while running at the filter.

I have removed the IAc and cleaned it, the egr is blocked off, got a plate under it to block it off fully, rest of the sensors are ok I guess but would it maybe be a CTS or knock sensor somehow? I know before I'd get a knock sensor signal to esc code, saying it had no knock sensor signal to the esc. I don't have much time to work on it much being colder out now and once warm it's fine, after maybe a mile if that of driving it's fine and dandy.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the 02 is new, forgot that one, it's a one wire bosch deal. I was thinking cts, it's cheap enough I'll try to change it out. Need to check my plugs and see how they are burning anyway.