Bad running after manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This shop is proving to be very difficult to communicate with. Im just trying to call them to speak to the mechanic and tell them to button it up so I can pick the truck up...

First time I call this morning receptionist tells me that the mechanic is out on a tow(understandable to a degree), so I say Ill call back in a few hours.

Few hours roll by and I call again.... No one answers the phone, and they seem to not call back with voicemails....

Low key feel like my truck is like hijacked from them. Real close to just getting a ride there and showing up in person.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I stopped there again, and he’s having the time of his life lol… I decided I’m giving him till Wednesday and he knows it I told him.

He’s working on the ALDL right now, he wants to be able to talk to the computer to see possibly if anything is happening.

For some reason he’s only getting 5volts to the ALDL connector though, don’t know why that is. It has good ground

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Upon reading, it seems like 5 volts to the ALDL power wires is normal, because it seems to have a resistor built into the system...

Also his scan tool requires external power(from cigarette lighter) but mine is not connected.... Never reconnected it after I put a new dash and interior in it. I told him this but he said "it must be connected." and brushed it off.

So in other words, it seems like he's chasing a "problem" that doesn't exist....

I regret not taking it today, I dont think this guy has a DAMN clue what he's doing with electrical.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I regret not taking it today, I dont think this guy has a DAMN clue what he's doing with electrical.

It'll be interesting to see how he bills his time.

Interesting twist regarding the cigarette lighter, I wonder how that's a dependency :think: and yet he hadn't noticed it wasn't operational.

Certain people are good at certain things, and passable -- at best -- at others.

Maybe he'd be great if you needed new gears in the rear end...

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how he bills his time.

Interesting twist regarding the cigarette lighter, I wonder how that's a dependency :think: and yet he hadn't noticed it wasn't operational.

Certain people are good at certain things, and passable -- at best -- at others.

Maybe he'd be great if you needed new gears in the rear end...
Yeah that’s what I think is happening, seems he does great work on mechanical things but the wiring gets the better of him.

I think I need to call them when they open tomorrow and tell them to stop and button it up.

I’m worried that since he thinks it needs 12 volts and not 5 at the ALDL that he’s going to mess up something trying to get 12 volts to the port even though it’s not supposed to have that much voltage.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m worried that since he thinks it needs 12 volts and not 5 at the ALDL that he’s going to mess up something trying to get 12 volts to the port even though it’s not supposed to have that much voltage.

You might have something there.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might have something there.
Ill actually just pull the plug Wednesday like mechanic and I agreed on,

trend with this mechanic is he sees all these "problems", tells me about them and then proceeds to twiddle his thumbs and not do much about the issues, or much to diagnose them.

I'm sure itll be fine one more day there. Don't feel like making it awkward by picking it up early.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to pick up the truck today! Called them and told em to button it up and Im coming later in the afternoon to get it.

Then its go time! Ground straps are in, so is the new coil to ICM connector!

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And she’s home!

First thing it did when I parked at home was have a tach seizure then stall lol.

Waiting for her to cool down before I put these grounds in

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@1998_K1500_Sub is there any other place on the firewall to ground to from the frame and cylinder head? The one below the heater hoses on my truck is totally stripped and rusted