Which Type of Paint - Paint OEM Wipe Cowl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jproctor

Reaction score
I am getting my 90' Silverado back from paint/body in a week or so. The original wiper cowl in weathered and would look terrible if I just dropped it back on the pickup.

Last summer, I gutted the interior and use SEM Color Coat to re-dye the plastic. I was skeptical but a year later, it still looks amazing.

Which type of paint have you guys found to work best on this plastic piece...i.e. actually weathered well?
-Would an SEM plastic paint w/ a rattle can clear coat weather?
-I have read that some have used Krylon Fusion? How has that lasted if you have used it?
-Other idea --- other than body shop. I've maxed my budget and cant ask them to do anything else.

I don't mind prepping w/ a scuff pad and dremel if I need...just trying to do it once.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just buy a new cowl? It'd probably be around the same price honestly, I recently bought one for $90 or so. They weren't painted from the factory, just glossy black plastic.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I did mine in Walmart's color place gloss black. Still looks good after 2 years, But I broke some of the fins this past winter scraping the windshield and the ice off the wipers. I grabbed another set at the junkyard this past summer, scuffed it with scotch brite pads and sprayed it with the same paint. It looks awesome! Too bad I never got it on the truck yet. It's one of those, I need to do someday deals.

jproctor

Reaction score
Since you asked....simply put, budget. A new one would be nice. I'll try a $12 can of SEM paint...if its worked okay for others.

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was getting my cowl hood painted ,I had him paint the wiper cowl as well. Held up good so far. Wouldn't hurt to try the sem paint. Maybe try something that will hold up against the sun.

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oops sorry didn't read your post right, so no bodyshop. Heard good things about that fusion paint.