Which computer do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BVRPLZR

Reaction score
The website seems to concur with your statement.

I've reached out twice now with no reply. Someone here said that the guy running the show there is quick to reply. Seems that's not the case.
If you have an account at thirdgen.org, he's pretty active on there.

Honestly with how much he posts and how in depth he goes to help people, I kind of feel bad for him lol dude is always working.

Realistically, do you NEED the EBL? No, you could scrounge around and find a stock PROM chip at a junkyard or on ebay pretty easily and if you don't plan on modifying your engine very far from stock, then this is probably the most economical route to take.
However, if you ever want to be able to modify your engine and tune for it, or even if you just wanted to be able to datalog more easily (with EBL you just plug the USB cable into your laptop). Also, having the EBL allows you to control/disable a lot of what would ordinarily turn on your CEL.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have an account at thirdgen.org, he's pretty active on there.

Honestly with how much he posts and how in depth he goes to help people, I kind of feel bad for him lol dude is always working.

Realistically, do you NEED the EBL? No, you could scrounge around and find a stock PROM chip at a junkyard or on ebay pretty easily and if you don't plan on modifying your engine very far from stock, then this is probably the most economical route to take.
However, if you ever want to be able to modify your engine and tune for it, or even if you just wanted to be able to datalog more easily (with EBL you just plug the USB cable into your laptop). Also, having the EBL allows you to control/disable a lot of what would ordinarily turn on your CEL.

Matter of fact, I had a third gen Firebird for a while, and I had an account there. I doubt it's still active.

OTherwise, I've been looking for said ECU for some time now. It's like looking for hens teeth, ya know?

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok the one that is in now, 6335. BJLJ. The one that was factory was 6395. BDUL, The one that is in it now was in a 94 State Police car, noticed a slight difference between the two

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need a PCM from a 94, you need one from an 88 - 91, probably the 1227747 or similar. You don't need to control an electronic transmission. You have a stick shift right? There will be an issue with your EST module since newer years (94 - 95 maybe) had the module internal where your older ones are mounted next to the Throttle Body.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Attachments

• 16905574449061972702417863940007.jpg
    16905574449061972702417863940007.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 8

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that, but they are not controlled by the computer till 95,
Here we go again, if they aren't controlled by the computer, how do they control pressure and shift points? Since they don't have a TV cable anymore.

The one that was factory was 6395.
That one is for a 4L80E or manual trans
www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?337-16196395-PCM-Information-OE

The only thing that gave it the ""E "' before 95 was the speedometer, when they stopped using cable driven
Nope, my 88 came with the VSS, 40 tooth reluctor and VSSB/DRAC behind the dash. 87 and before had the cable.

You must be registered for see images attach