need a vin for computer cloning, please help, 96 7.4 5spd 373

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found a vin online and had it checked for the 373, out of a 2500, but that doesn’t matter as long as the drivetrain is the same, the vin is 1gtgk29j4te553774, for others who need it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it’s for more than one truck, I have two others that I want to convert from autosplatics to 5 speed, want to stay stock, and the 1996 vortec 7.4, 5 speed, and 373 is the setup I want to go with, I just haven’t found a truck with that combo, so I need a vin to get an ecm cloned.

Sounds like you've already got this figured out, but just FYI you can get a copy of the JET DST software for around $400 and make the adjustments yourself. Just need a laptop to run it. I'm about to buy a copy from Summit here shortly.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jet-14005

From what I understand changing a tune for different gearing is very simple.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you need to change the tune for different gears?

FWIU it's mainly just so the speedometer/odometer will read correctly. I believe the earlier trucks do with with a DRAC module while the '96+ trucks have it all in the tune.

Maybe shift points too with some setups? Although I think that's RPM based, not wheel speed. I could be wrong, never messed with this stuff personally (yet).

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, I need a vin for a stock computer cloning for a 96 7.4 5spd with 373 gears, my truck, an NV4500 has the 513's in it and I simply dont need them (7 mpg is also killing me.), but I love all of the rest of the heavy duty suspension. I have a set of 373 posi gears to put in it, and have confirmed by the case numbers that they will interchange, so now I need a vin so that I can have a computer cloned If you have one and are not afraid to share it please do so, thanks.
I've got a 97 k2500 7.4l nv4500 373 truck in parting out. I'm out of town for another 3 weeks though or I could help you out