where to start (performance)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are some of your goals? Budget?

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a vortec depending on how involved you wanna get I'd say:

Bolt-ons:
Shorties (easy fitment, especially for a 4x4)
New 2.5" pipes
Hi-flow cats if needed
Good flowing muffler
TB mod
BB tune

Little more involved, I'd say do the MPFI upgrade as well. With the vortec you already have a good factory head to a certain extent depending on your end goal. A small cam along with decent timing set and billet body distributor with melonized gear will give you a damn solid daily driver that should be pretty reliable. And if your interested a electric fans swap is also a worthwhile mod on these trucks.

likestrucks

Reaction score
Do not do the throttle body mod. All you are doing is removing the linear application of power. It does not increase horsepower at wide open throttle. If you want your throttle to be supper jumpy giving the illusion of more power go for it.

Your gas pedal controls how much air can enter the engine. The throttle body on these trucks can support a way greater demand for air then the engine needs. The blocker was put in to keep power application linear. At wide open throttle, the other components on the engine become the limiting factor, even with the restrictor plate. These throttle body's with the restrictor plate flow close to 1000 cfm, but the rest of the intake system max flow rate is well below that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely have to agree with that. ^^

I did the throttle blade restrictor delete on my red V6 truck and I did not like the throttle response at all. Felt like it turned my gas pedal into an on/off switch. I put a factory non-modified blade back in the throttle body and the truck drives much nicer IMO.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The TB mod definately increases WOT MAP and MAF readings substantially at high rpm. IT IS a restriction at high rpm on even a bone stock truck. I have driven both L30s and L31s with both stock and moded throttle bodies and never experienced an on/off feel. I had a BBK 80mm throttle body on my Express van with the marine intake and even it did not feel jumpy. I only used the BBK because it was a $25 junkyard find.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We all have our own likes and dislikes. As for me, I like the quick responce the mod gives you at a dead stop. We do not all drive the same. I like taking off when the light turn green and leaving the traffic behind. I like the way my truck jumps to attention when I hit the gas. Thats not for everyone, I know, but thats what the result is from the throttle blade mod does. And yes, I can still take off slow, if I want to, but that almost never happens when I drive, but hey thats just me.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, I almost feel bad for even posting any sorts of links up like I did lol. You're just haunting him around these forums now. :rofl::rofl:

I'm really glad you did post those because I had seen other people bashing him with no real explanation as to why. You actually followed through and gave evidence, which I appreciate. I had a feeling he was less than genuine in some of his statements here from the beginning and those threads definitely confirmed that possibility.

I almost feel bad for calling him out so much. I'm sure some of what he says isn't complete bullshit. I just prefer that any new members or anyone reading through these threads in the future be aware of his tendencies to stretch the truth.