where to start (performance)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hi i am new here i hope this is in the right section. im a 16 year old that has just taken ownership of a 1997 tahoe 5.7 i want to know really where to start performance wise. the truck came cat deleted and all ive done "performance wise" is wired up some exhaust cutouts to by pass the muffler just for sound purposes .engine as 166,000 ish miles on it as of this posting. thanks

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The biggest bang for the buck, is a custom tune. http://blackbearperformance.com does a mail order ECM that has a tune in it for IDK around $350. There are a lot of other little thing that will help. Throttle blade mod helps with throttle response ( look it up on you tube) Tire size and rear diff gearing also plays a big part in how the truck pulls. Also free flowing exhaust is a must. Headers, mufflers that you can see through ( not flowmasters), and then if you have money, you can do a cam and head swap.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with a tuneup;plugs,wires,cap/rotor. Toss the factory manifolds for a set of shorty headers, and if you can, a better Y pipe. After headers, a tune is going to be the biggest difference you will see.
Moving back to the trans, you can put in a higher 2300 stall torque converter as long as you aren't planning to go offroad, a shift kit, or a corvette 1-2 servo.
At the rear end, check what gear ratio you have, a set of 3.42 or 3.73 gears would make the truck feel quicker at the expense of gas mileage and highway rpm.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IDK why the first link doesnt work ,but the second one does

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I second the Black Bear tune. That made the biggest difference in how my red truck drives by far. Way more noticeable than any of the exhaust, headers, or anything like that, and free alterations for life. Best $350 you'll spend on the truck as far as an easy performance increase.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to note though, if your truck has the 4L60E automatic, DO NOT have Black Bear or any tuner change anything in regards to the torque management. Speaking from experience, they don't live very long if you mess with that.

Reaction score
Ok so I will check the transmission I have and look for some videos on the black bear tune about the hearing in the diff where would I get the new ones from ? I’m I going to a junk yard looking for the correct part number or can I buy these online

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
If you want to do it yourself, You'll need a dial indicator to set backlash, an inch/LB beam style torque wrench to set pinion preload, an "H" press to remove and install bearings, among other regular tools.
https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-ZKGM8-5-Master-Overhaul-Differential/dp/B003O07BZ0/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Tahoe|499&Year=1997|1997&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=6&vehicleType=automotive (this kit comes with good instructions)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078UAHJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (pick what ratio you want)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-55048 (crush sleeve eliminator)

I ordered a couple extra pinion bearings and ground the inner race out a little for a slip fit to set preload with the crush sleeve eliminator, then once I had that within spec, I installed the new bearings and pinion seal. You'll want to get axle seals too. We dropped the whole housing out of the truck and did it on the bench (don't have a hoist and don't like crawling around under the truck).

Last edited: